Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

22 fret Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by simbass27, Nov 26, 2004.

1. simbass27

simbass27

Nov 26, 2004
    I'm new here so hello everyone. Anyone ever seen a 22 fret Fender Jazz bass? I have one and I wonder if it's a mutt or a prize. Very playable and pretty. Just never see them around anywhere. Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Simbass27

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I believe American jazz basses usually have 22 frets.

3. simbass27

simbass27

Nov 26, 2004
    I cannot find any 22 fret Jazz basses on the net. All of them have 20. American Jazz bass has 20.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  5. simbass27

simbass27

Nov 26, 2004
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, you are correct. But mine has a longer top horn.
    If you go to the gallery, page 8 and look at the bottom right pic, he has a Fender with a p bass pu and jazz pu. That's the style of the horns on my Jazz.
    When I go to pics on the net stores, it looks like all Jazz basses, 20 fret or 22 fret, have the same body style. I'm just wondering if it's worth any more or if it's worth less.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Any idea what year yours is? I thik it might be a Fender jazz plus, or something, which had a longer top horn, 22 frets, and isnt made anymore. What brand pickups are in yours? What do they look like?

7. That style was made far a while in the 90's. It was not particularly popular, as I recall, so I suspect the prices are not as high as some of the other MIA models.

Mike

8. My Fender MIA FMT deluxe jazz has 22 frets. as do all of them :D

9. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Just to make a clarification, the Jazz basses with the enlongated upper horn (I'm thinking they were the "American Standards" of their day) and the "Jazz Plus" models are not the same series. If I were not at the in-laws for the holidays I could confirm the name of the "horny" Fenders from my old BP Buyers Guides, but I do own a Jazz Plus V, and while the body is a touch downsized, it's still bassed on the standard Jazz body style much more then the model mentioned.

10. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Fender has the New Fender "Ash Deluxe (active) 5 string basses out now that has the 22 frets and the Samarium Cobalt noiseless pickups as is on there FMT/QMT basses and they sound excellent not to mention that the playability is superb also.

11. The new 22-fret Deluxe models have a different shape from the 90's "extended horn" 22-fret models.

Mike

12. funkymachine

funkymachine

Jun 7, 2006
    The "boner" basses (late '80s/early '90s American Standard Jazz Bass - Precision Bass Plus), are passive while the American Deluxe Series models are active. These USA Deluxe basses were powered by a single 9V battery from 1995 to 2001. The 18V power supply has been introduced in 2002.

13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    My 94 Fender Jazz Bass Plus has 22 frets... it also originally came with a Kubicki Pre and Lace Sensors... through 3-4 mods, it is now passive with split J-bass p/ups from Nordstrand and this bass is now the best it has ever been!

[​IMG]