1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

22-fret neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bui, Sep 27, 2009.

1. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    I'm looking to replace the neck on my P-Bass special with a maple Mighty Mite, but I can only find them in the 20-fret variety...the stock neck is 22 frets. Anyone know of a manufacturer that puts out a 22 fret neck?

Also, I'm pretty sure that putting on a shorter neck will mess with intonation...would a major bridge repositioning be needed?

2. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    No one knows?

I'm thinking that the MM, being 1 3/8" shorter than the current neck, would mean that I would have to move the bridge back to almost the edge, so that the saddles have enough room to make that 1 3/8" shift. Is this the right train of thought?

3. fenderpamd

fenderpamd

Sep 30, 2009
    As long as the neck is a 34 inch scale neck it should sit in the pocket the same. The nut to the bridge should still be 34 inches. I have a fender american deluxe p and it too is a 22 fret. However, most of the after market necks are 20 or 21 fret but still a 34 inch scale. The difference is an overhang for the 21st fret. Unless you play on the 21st or 22nd fret, a 20 fret will be the same scale and should work fine. The only other way is to possibly look on ebay or craigs list and see if someone is taking off a new 22 fret neck to put a custom neck on.
    My .02

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Actually, while the scale is the same, 20 fret necks are shorter, you'd have to move the bridge back, maybe an inch.

Status, and Moses make Stingray necks, 21 fret, be less of a move for the bridge.

Also remember, if you move the bridge back, the pickups are now in new positions too.

5. fenderpamd

fenderpamd

Sep 30, 2009
    Thanks. I have been seriously looking to change my p neck for a jazz neck. A deluxe neck in both are 22 fret where a standard P or J is 20 fret however, they are both still 34 scale. I have done quite some hunting and was told that as long as the scale was the same the only difference was the over hang on the bottom of the neck that carried the extra frets. If that is not true, I am glad I posted before I bought something new with the previous info.

Thanks for clearing that up for me as well.

6. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Its just fine if the extra frets are on an overhang, they're made for replacing 20 fret necks.

The Fender Deluxe, on the other hand, has no overhang, just a longer neck, with a deeper pocket.

7. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    Darkstrike's correct, no overhang. Good call on pointing out that the pickups will "move" in relation to the string...didn't think of that one. I found someone who did a neck replacement on the same bass, and think I have it sorted out now. Thanks for the help!

8. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    How'd you do it, I'd love to find a supply of 22 fret necks.:bassist:

9. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You'll never get the intonation correct with a 20 fret neck on a "22 fret" body without some alterations.

10. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    Oops, meant that he confirmed the mod will work...like you said, it just requires moving the bridge back (in this case, almost to the very end of the body). Saddles will also be very close to the tail, but if the measurements I made are correct, it should work.

11. basspro

basspro Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Las Vegas,NV
    The bass will intonate just fine as long as the bridge is moved
    to the correct position.

12. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Ah, I get ya!

13. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    Here's the post that clarified it (also got confirmation via PM). The Geddy he put on was 23 3/4" from nut to the end of the fingerboard.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7574994&postcount=164

In order for me to maintain a distance of 34" from the nut to bridge, I would have to move the bridge to about where he is, and max out my E saddle.

14. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    yeah, like I said:
    "You'll never get the intonation correct with a 20 fret neck on a "22 fret" body without some alterations".

15. Azwethinkweiz43

Azwethinkweiz43

May 4, 2012
    Carvin (they are called Kiesel now)
    I bought a '99 P bass deluxe body off ebay for $100 but little to my dismay its a 22 fret neck. It took several months and sloothing on the Internets to find one. Carvin sells them (custom made) and there is another place that makes Aluminum 22 fret neck but who wants that. BE WARNED, they are thinner on the back side of the neck than Fenders but play very smooth and nice.
    IMG_20180419_091305_01.

16. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Love zombie threads!!!!