1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

22 fret necks vs. 24 frets

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmunnky, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Hey All,

Just a question that I can't seem to get a straight answer to yet.

My question is about 24 Fret necks.

Question: Are the locations of the NOTES/FRETS exactly the same on a 24 fret neck as they are on a 22 fret neck?

I'm not talking about scale here. Just standard 34" scale necks.

Here is why I'm asking. I use mostly 21 and 22 fret basses. I'm considering a 24 fret bass (The Bongo). However. When I check out the 24 fret model...it seems I'm grabbing C# (4th fret) all the time when I am pretty damn sure I wanted to grab a C...that goes for all the rest of the notes, G, I grab the G#, etc...it's almost funny.

So is it me and my imagination? Are the 24 fret necks just 22 frets...plus two, or is the spacing of the frets changing and the neck position different.

While others friends of mine on forums have said, "you'll get used to it"...somehow, after playing 22 frets for so long...I doubt it. I really don't want to be looking at the neck to play La Bamba.

I'm bringing a measuring tape with me to Guitar Center..but I'd like to here it from you!

Thanks for reading and your help here.

m

2. The spacing never changes.

on a 34in scale bass, the 12th fret will ALWAYS be 17in away from both the nut and the bridge.

3. steve21

steve21 Banned

The Bongo is 34 scale. This means it is 34 from the bridge saddles to the nut. But it might not be aligned in a way similar to the basses you're used to. Instead of the bridge being right next to the end of the body, it's a little up closer towards the neck, so it feels like your hand is out more.

But, relative to distance from the bridge, the 1st fret on a Bongo is just as far as the first fret on a P-bass.

4. notes are exactly the same you just get four more of them. The reason why it seems like your always hitting a the next semitone up is probably because the scale length of the bongo is 35' while the basses you've played previously have had 34' scale. that happend to me when i got my first 35' scale 24 fret (a Yamaha TRB6) but fixing it it just a matter of getting used to repositioning your fingers. Run through scales or any sort of excercise until you don't have the problem any more

5. steve21

steve21 Banned

The Bongo is 34.

It feels different to him because of where the bridge is located, if I had to guess.

6. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    Yes, it does feel different to me anyways. Same went for the Fender 24 fret. I'm thinking my visual cues are off as sometimes the horn is a bit off from the 12 fret.

Thanks

7. orly? could've sworn it was 35' but it is what it is i guess, lol.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    +1

Some people say Alembics feel like 35" scale basses to them because of the bridge being "far up" the body. Personally I don't agree, but it's all in the eye of the beholder!

9. Yeah, the number of frets doesn't really change the scale length. Although, like Chris said, body design can make it feel different. Unlike Alembics and Warwick's, Rob Allen's design with the saddles as far back as possible makes his 35" scale basses feel like 32 or 33" scale.

10. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    Great...thanks for the help, I just thought I was nuts.

11. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    On any 34 inch scale, the frets are spaced the same. Bridge placement on the body, strap button locations, how it hang may make it feel longer or different. Try strapping on an original Steinberger. They are 34 inch scale but feel longer because of where the bass hangs. Most people that strap mine complain that the first fret is a real reach, but the upper register from the 12th to 24th fret are a breeze to play.