22 frets Jazz Bass and a bridge in a different place

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by blackfire74, Nov 19, 2015.

1. blackfire74

blackfire74

Nov 19, 2015
    Hello, few days ago I get this jazz bass with replaced neck, it has 22 frets. To make things work and be able to set the intonation correctly luthier moved bridge towards neck about 3/4 inch (20mm). Intonation is perfect, I got some holes left behind the bridge but it has ashtray over the bridge so they are not visible.
    My question is:
    if bridge is moved closer too neck does the specific sounds along the strings are moved closer to neck too?
    You know, playing close to the bridge the sound is stiffer, between pickups is more open, and closer to neck is punchy. Area between pickups is most sensitive to the playing position and on this bass I guess it is moved closer to neck side.
    Am I right?

2. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Assuming the scale length is still 34", the acoustic tones achievable will move relative to the body and pickups, but not the bridge. So where you play for a particular tone will have moved 3/4" up the body.
    But the sounds produced by the pickups will change a bit, and I would expect the change to be more pronounced for the bridge pickup. The bridge pickup position relative to the string is significantly closer to the bridge than 'standard'. If the bridge pickup was already in the '70's position, then the difference will be even greater compared to a '60's Jazz. I would also expect to see a small drop in output from the bridge pickup as the string excursion closer to the bridge is less - this could have a detrimental effect on the 100/100 blend tone and you might need to dial back the neck pickup to get a perfect 100/100 blend. If instead you try matching the outputs using pickup height, the tone of the neck pickup might also be slightly compromised by having to be too far away from the strings.
    In the end I guess you will have to suck it and see. If it is no good, you could always revert back to a 20-fret neck, or if you need the extra frets, maybe think about a replacement Warmoth neck with the overhanging fingerboard?

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    so it's a jazz deluxe neck on a regular body?

other than the overall bad pairing, you might theoretically get a little twangier sound from both pickups, since they're now closer to the bridge than normal.

hope you got it really cheap.

4. blackfire74

blackfire74

Nov 19, 2015
    Well, thanks for explanation guys. So it seems to be like I thought. It is little twangier than ususal and bridge pickup has less output. Although, playing for a few days with pickup covers let used to the sound as I have no choice and have to play in positions covers let me. It give me chance to always have the same sound because I play in the same position, and it is slightly more articulated than usual, which is good. Maybe with covers there is no flexibility on the tone but at least I have no doubts where to pluck the strings to have the same tone like the other day, hahah. And yes, I got it really cheap, almost half the price. Never had such perfect neck, fret level and pickups. Those are Tesla Opus-JB 1, nice rounded edges on covers, not like Fenders, and very even sounding strings. And pots do have really big affect on tone, each millimeter makes the difference, awesome!
    I placed neck pickup cover far more closer to the neck so I have more space for fingers and I can pluck strings closer to neck pickup but pickup itself is not yet visible and it looks better.
    As for the sound blend, it might be not fully 100/100 but I usually play 6/0/0 or 6/2/3 if there were scales on the knobs. Of course it is scale from 0 to 10 and volume/volume/tone. Sound is rather deep and soft but with cut off lows on the amp about a 1/3rd.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021