Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Shmelbee, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Shmelbee

Shmelbee

Mar 28, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Has anyone's frog ever broke in HALF?

My three-week-old Codabow fell off of my music stand and must have fallen just right. I wasn't too worried about it falling during the fall...because it's "indestructible." I guess that applies to the stick.

But the frog snapped in half...I still don't know what to think about that.

Anyway I sent it in the mail right away to Codabow, and they said i may have to buy a new frog. How much do frogs cost, on average?
    :eek:

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    They want you to BUY a frog for a BRAND NEW bow that's advertised as indestructible?

Tht's the biggest load of horse**** I've ever heard. And that's coming from someone who deals with Staples (The Business Depot) on a regular basis.

3. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    The trouble with carbon fiber is that it cleaves. When dropped flat on its side it pretty much is indestructable, but you hit the "jackpot". When dropped straight down on its end it can split. Is that what happened?

4. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    the frogs are wood and can break. The stick is "indestructible".

5. Shmelbee

Shmelbee

Mar 28, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    yeah i know that...splitting frogs is just weird to me.

no, it fell on its side, and the frog must have hit the floor just right and broke into two pieces. The top of the frog where it connects to the stick is still on the stick, and then it split horizontally where the little Coda sign is at.

6. Shmelbee

Shmelbee

Mar 28, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    also, eroy, how much does a new frog cost in your shop?

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If it is a clean break, just glue it back together. If the ebony cracked along a grain line, it should easy enough to fix it and make it look ok.

8. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    Hey Shmelbee.

Yes, this happened to my Lamay bow some years ago. I dropped it on a hardwood floor practicing at home (STUPID!-practice on a carpet!!) and it split *exactly* along the midpoint, even breaking one of the pearl dots in half. I don't think any bowmaker would advise you to glue it back together considering the stresses involved. I bought a new frog from Lemur and had it put on at Salchow, where I was getting rehairs at the time. A pro has to put it on, unless you get extremely lucky and the frog fits the stick correctly from the get-go. Basically they have to bend the metal part (I think called the "top lining") to fit the stick and then shave the frog to that shape.

It's not a *** situation. You dropped the bow and the frog broke. It happens, it's not the bowmaker's fault, IMHO.

Brent

9. bpclark

bpclark

Apr 30, 2003
    West Central, OH
  10. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
  11. Shmelbee

Shmelbee

Mar 28, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I should hear back from them tomorrow...

I expect to be paying for the frog, anyway. It's no problem. It does kinda suck, though, to have this happen a week and a half before an audition!

:(

12. bassbaterie

bassbaterie

Dec 14, 2003
    Houston Texas
    Director, Quantum Bass Center
    One day, I was practicing, took a momentary pause, was just HOLDING the bow in my right hand, and the frog snapped in half along the grain. The two eyes fell out, plink, plink. So, it happens.

The archetier (kirk adie) ran the frog through the bandsaw at the location of the split to clean up the edges, and glued it back together. He did a terrific job and the repair is invisible. I had recently bought the bow as just a stick, and Kirk ordered and fitted the frog for me at a cost of around $200. He made a beautiful screw button, ebony and silver, inlaid with mother of pearl, for me for $100.