1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

22nd Fret Sticking Out Too Much

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Poop-Loops, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Heh... on a guitar, though... but I'd figure you guys are knowledgable enough to help me anyway. :)

Just bought a Hamer Explorer from a pawn shop. Turns out the 22nd fret sticks out more than the others, preventing low action. Should I just have at it and see what I can muster up, or should I take it to a tech?

If it were any other fret, I wouldn't even be asking, but since I doubt I'll use the 22nd fret much, I figure this would be a good chance to try my hand at some more hardcore repair stuff.

What do you all think?

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    my first question would be - why is it sticking out further (i.e. higher) that the other frets?

depending on the root cause of the high fret, you can begin to form a conclusion as to how best to address it. if the high fret is rooted in improper neck shimming, then leveling it down will most likely be a temporary fix. if it is instead caused by an improperly sealed neck, and humidity is causing the wood to swell, then any leveling will be fine so long as the relative humidity doesn't vary much. if the fretboard is level, then leveling the fret will most likely have a long lasting resolution and continue to be playable long after you make the repair

all the best,

R

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    The other frets seem to be the same height. I just got the thing yesterday, so I haven't been able to do a full check. However, when I play the 22nd fret, it sounds exactly like when I play the 21st, 20th, and 19th frets, meaning that thing is just sticking out too far.

It was in a pawn shop for I don't know how long, but it's in very good shape, so it must be fairly new. My point is, humidity should have stayed fairly constant, and it will now anyway. It was on a wall hanger, so it wasn't damaged in any way.

I thought it might be getting pushed out by the wood, but it doesn't look like it and I know hammering it in isn't a good idea anyway.

Curious observation, though, the 22nd fret already looks a bit filed, but flatly. So my guess is someone screwed up royally on that one. I'll try to get a pic later today. Maybe a different wire was used or something.

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I'll have to wait until I get some replacement strings for it in case I do something really stupid. I know it's unlikely that I'll do something even remotely ungenius like, but it has been known to happen.

:)

5. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    hey P-L,

do you know the fretboard radius? if it's something that I had a radius block for, you're welcome to stop by and we can take a couple passes to bring it into scope with the other frets. no $$ of course

all the best,

R

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Very close to infinity, meaning it's almost flat by the looks of it.

But it's only the 1st and 2nd strings that I need to worry about. How often am I going to play those, let alone any lower strings?

I think I'll try doing it on my own. Even if I botch it, it won't be that big of a deal... I hope. :)