Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

22uf or 47uf?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gillento, Feb 18, 2006.

1. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Hi

I've been rewiring my 5String J to passive V/V/T

Should a use a 22uf or 47 uf cap./cond.?
    I am using ALNICO Single Coils with 250 kohm volume pots, a Fender No-Load 250kom as tone pot.
    What is the tonal difference?

I couldn't find anything "Search".

2. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Neither. It should be .022uF or .047uf. The 22uF and 47uF are more typically small power supply filter caps . . . and will give you such a low freq. rolloff on the tone stage, that it would most likely act more like a volume control.

- Tim

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    You make a good point, but that still hasn't answered his question. I think that the 47nF cap will roll off more treble than will the 22nF cap, which means you'll be able to get a deeper, more low-end sound. I might have it backwards though... hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

4. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    OK, first it was uF and now you are talking nF . . . . please pick one! The question is radically different depending which you are talking about. In either case, the smaller the cap, the higher the frequency it will roll off at.

- Tim

5. pj-mike

pj-mike

Nov 22, 2005
    Bridgewater, MA
    typical Fender wiring withe 250k pots use a .05uf(micro-farad) capacitor most replacemnts are .047uf. The .022 would not allow you to roll off as much treble.

If you usually have your tone control turned down so there's not as much finger noise you'll want the .047. This is perceived as a deeper sound. It's actually the same sound with less treble.
    Having said that, many players who want a lot of treble use a .022.
    I think you can get in the same range with tone turned up using a .047.

I hope this helps. If not someone else might chime in with a better explaination.

6. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Hi again,

I must have misread the writing. It was 0.22 indeed.
    Thanks for your help.

7. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Doubling the capacitor value will drop the EQ point one octave.

Change a .022 for a .044 (.047 or .05 is close enough and they're not that accurate any way) and the EQ point drops about an octave. A larger cap CAN leave more treble as you may find you turn the tone knob much less cutting a bit more into the mids and not cutting the highs as hard. But fully cranked the .047 or .05 will cut roughly another octave off the top than the .022.

You can also combine the normal tone knob with a tiny capacitor (.01?) at the jack to roll off the glassy highs for the whole bass or do that on a pickup to effect just a single pickups tone.

8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Sorry Tim, didn't mean to make things wackier.

.022 uF = 22 nF
    .047 uF = 47 nF

I tried to make it less confusing, but I reckon I made it moreso. Anyway, thanks for the confirmation on how the cap value affects the high-frequency roll-off. :)