1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

23.5 Lbs gone!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cassanova, Jan 10, 2012.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    It's been about 6-7 weeks now since I started some lifestyle modifications to shed some excess poundage. Before actively starting to do anything about it, I remember tipping the scales at approximately 267 lbs. Today when I stepped on the scale I was 243.5. So I lost about 23.5 lbs. Next stop is 240 or better. I'm also really digging that shirts that I was once too big to wear, now fit, and that my pants are falling down. Yes, I'm sharing this with people here because I don't have much of a support group here at home, but also as inspiration to others that are also struggling with weight issues. If I can do it, then anyone can.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Good job bro. Continue setting those goals. Keep a picture or two around from when you were 267 as a reminder to keep on keepin' on.

-Mike

3. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    Congratuations! Keep at it!

4. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Good for you!

5. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    That is a great start and inspiration for me to get serious again. The last time I seriously tried to lose weight it was about a 2-3 lbs./week pace and I did drop a bunch, but it was too severe a lifestyle switch for me and it came back. I like what you are doing - change the lifestyle and the weight will follow. If you don't mind, I'd like to jump on that bandwagon and check in every once in awhile.

I started yesterday as I hit 261 after coming back from vacation. Ideally, I should be at 200 but I remember how good every 5 pound drop felt; how my energy level inproved and my knees and back were not strained.

6. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    That's effing awesome!!!! Keep up the good work, keep going until you've hit the weight you want. Throw out your old big clothes, ti will give you less of an excuse to ever gain the weight back. I lost about 100 pounds over the course of a year (riding my bike, and that's when I started playing bass......the standing and moving of it helped a bit). I gained back about 10 pounds but it's better than carrying around a small person basically...

7. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    That's great! I've lost about 23 lbs in about the last 2 months. I've been working with my doc and have been using this stuff called Body by Vi. My dr recommended it and uses it himself. I don't want to hijack the thread, so if you want to know anything about it, send me a pm. Keep up the good work and remember we all slip up occasionally. The key is not to give up when you do. Congrats, again, bro!

8. Dale D Dilly

Dale D Dilly Monster

Jul 1, 2008
    Awesome. I'm finally back on track with a healthy lifestyle after a year and a half of absolutely destroying my body. It is great inspiration to hear of other people's success.

I really enjoy light exercise and feel better not eating fast food, the hardest part of the transition is severely limiting my beer intake.

9. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Alright man, way to go!

10. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Good job man! I personally need to figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong with my weight. I weighed 145lbs throughout most of high school, went down to 142lbs freshman year of college, basically stayed at 150lbs throughout sophomore and junior year, and just weighed myself at 170lbs at the end of this winter break :eek: I don't even look fat, but somehow I've been putting on some serious weight, and I know it's not all muscle weight from working out.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I need to lose about 20 lbs or so myself. I just weighed myself at 179lbs, I want to be between 155-160 by May 1, and get to 150 by Aug 1, and more importantly, I want to maintain around 150. I haven't had much issue shedding the pounds anytime I've tried to, but I've had issues sticking with it long term. We'll see how 2012 treats me :).

Good job on your work, Cass.

12. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Your body is getting larger. Don't try to get back down to your high school weight unless your doctor tells you to.

I weighed probably 160-170 in high school, and I weigh 230 now. Even if I dropped the probably 10-20 pounds of extra weight I'm carrying, I'd still be much heavier than I was 6 years ago.

13. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Good job cassanova, I also need a good 20lbs off my middle tier I would say...

14. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    Congrats on the weight loss! :bassist:

Maybe you mentioned it in another thread, but what sort of lifestyle modifications did you make? I need to drop 30-40 lbs. but want to do it gradually.

15. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I saw the title of this thread and thought maybe you sold a t-40

Congrats man, I've been there, Lost 70 pounds in a 18 month period, but I've gained about half of that back unfortunately

16. Subrage

Subrage

Oct 30, 2006
    Kansas City
    Congrats, and keep up the good work!

Started at 218 wearing XL/XXL shirts and 38 jeans, now still 218 but wear M/L Shirts and 34 jeans.

Got up to 245 when I was really lifting, but then cut down to 203 last winter. Need to start on my cutting routine again, and lose about 10-15 or so.

Its a struggle but keep motivated.

17. Emmaporkchop

Emmaporkchop Guest

Jun 23, 2009
    Yeah I was wondering what changes your doing too? My wife and I started dieting and I already feel better, hoping for similar results.

18. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Thanks everyone. To those in the same boat as I am, keep up the good work. All it took for me was some discipline and motivation. My motivation was I when I was on vacation up in the DC area. I noticed I was usually one of the heaviest if not heaviest person when we were out and about. The next was having a gf that has a body so tight that you can bounce a quarter off it. Your mileage will obviously vary on what motivates you.

19. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I simply stopped eating as much. I noticed when I was on vacation that I wasn't "picking" during the night. So I thought to myself, "well if I can do it here, I can certainly do it back home." Another modification I made was getting in more exercise. I was walking around a lot while up in DC, several miles per day, and friends commented on some of the pics I posted that I looked like I lost a few pounds, so when I got home, I kept up the exercise routine.

Another thing that has helped me out a lot is Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com You basically plug in your weight, and how much you want to lose. In my case, I put in sedentary lifestyle, and wanted to lose 2-3 lbs per week. It then calculated how many calories I needed to intake to attain my desired weight loss goal. You can also input the exercise you've done for the day and it'll recalculate how many calories you can take in for the day. Its a good site IMO.

20. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Youre just growing!

Exactly. At the end of high school I was a buck thirty five. Four years later I had put on about 30 lbs. Now Im about 170-175, having went down from 190 when I left my ex wife (who made me fat!).