1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2345th buying a bass from eBay topic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by musicelectronix, Jan 22, 2008.

1. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    eBay is a large and open community; people ussually willingly exaggerate the good qualities and do not mention the bad ones, such as neck wear. Let alone lying about cosmetic condition. I am ok with replacing the strings (which I will do anyway), adjusting stuff, maybe replacing the tuners and bridge; but what can I do (or willing to do) with a bend neck, which very well might be the case since I am in the market for a bass from 80s (T-40).

In here we share ideas, flame gear :), tell jokes or just chat in a daily basis and I believe people tend to be honest about their gear in a rather closed and respected community. Heck, I don't want to buy my first peavey (I am really really excited, I don't know why) from a "trading assistant" who knows nothing about music, let alone bass or a online pawn shop.

anyway, I am fine with waiting - at least trying to be, you know how GAS works - and eventually right bass will come to me :)

What do you think? Do you have any experience with "I sell it for you" type eBay sellers?

2. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis

I could write a book on the subject ...

This time last year I owned one of those businesses (well it owned me). We had to get information on every kind of item under the sun and it was hard work, for a guy like me who knows nothing of Mikasa China and Madam Alexander dolls.

Now for me musical instruments were not a problem, but I see how they might be for many a re-seller. I'll tell you this IMHO 99.99% of the guys out there in the "Drop of your stuff and we'll sell it on Ebay" biz are really trying to keep a high feedback rating, so the incentive is to be as honest as possible. That said it's a tall order when someone brings in an item you know nothing about and wants it sold to what are many times a very pickey and specialized buying public.

Consider the drop off store that takes in a Fender bass ... the consigner brings it in and says my son stopped playing this back in high school and I just need to sell it. The person at the store just sees what looks like an old Fender bass, it's kinda worn looking and looks antique/vintage. They do some internet research and find a bass that looks like the one they have, and write a description from that. It hits the net and thousands of eyes that know 20 times more than that seller does about this bass start to disect every issue they find about the bass. You see this happen on the pages of TB every day, then the request start will you take the neck off what are the date codes on the pots etc: etc: and they (the re-seller) have not the 1st clue as to what your asking. Also as was the case for us a well known franchise, we legally cannot change or alter any item we took in and that included taking off a neck or pickguard. Remember it belongs to the seller, not the re-seller, and if something breaks in the disassembly it is a liability to the re-seller.

Then it starts, someone from in our example a TB member spots it on Ebay and brings it up as a thread topic ... one of those "Is this a Fake Fender" threads, and a firestorm starts on the forums. I bring this up because it happened to me. Turns out that bass was an early Fullerton re-issue that with 20 plus years of use and abuse really did look the part of a 57 P bass, yes even down to a correct serial number on a repro neck plate. The mom selling it didn't know and a typical re-seller wouldn't know. I spotted it but then again with over 35 years experiance I could see one or two details that let me know it was an 84 rather than a 57. We sold that bass after 3 attempts at listing it and three disclaimers in the listing that it was a re-issue. The irony is when the final bidder got the bass, they sent me a thank you for selling them a real 1957 P bass for such a cheap price.:scowl:

Now that is an example ... of how tough it was even for me to sell an item I knew alot about, you can only imagine that for a clueless re-seller it was and is a nightmare. BTW I was the clueless one on dolls and china.

The drop it off businesses are flawed and on the decline partly because of just this type of thing. The buying and selling public demanded a higher standard and lower fees and I got out, and regrouped selling just what I know. Pawn shops on the otherhand using Ebay as an outlet are on the increase and that may need some watching.

:meh: ... Just my .02 cents from the trenches.

3. J.D.B.

J.D.B.

Mar 11, 2007
    Michigan
    I check the feedback(actually READ some of it), check out the return policy/method, and go. I would not likely buy any instrument over a few hundred bucks on e-Bay without the seller being a "brick-and-mortar" shop (having a real location other than a residence). I have had very few problems on e-Bay. There is an excellent system in place on e-Bay/PayPal for "getting results" (I know!) should there be a real problem (fraud, etc.). It definitely pays to know something about what you are buying, and checking stuff out on places like this, too. Fear not, you'll likely live through it, and might even have some fun!

Josh
    Josh

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021