1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

24 fret jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sharp, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    Im wondering what my options are in the category of:

24 or so frets
    Jazz or P/J
    good tone all around
    in the area of $1200

I play all types of music and am looking for something with a nice fat sound, but still clear and sparkly in the upper frets. I like Fender and all that, but they just dont have the frets that im finding myself wishing were there. thanks-

-Sharp

2. I like the following in that range...

You can get a Carvin with a lot of customization for that.

Also, MTD Beast for a lot less than that - has passive electronics.

I'm pretty tired right now, so I can't really think of others..

You might consider a used Pedulla Rapture J2 also.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    You could get a tricked out Yamaha BB, or a MTD Saratoga, or a Modulus Genesis or a Carvin whatever.

The Rapture's nice, but it has 22 frets.

4. How about a 2nd hand ken smith BSR4J. Not sure how much they go for 2nd hand but it is a 24 fret jazz which is first class in sound, looks and build quality.

Regards and happy hunting

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    This is pure curiosity: What's the rationale behind wanting 24 frets? In my experience, I have never been playing and fallen off the freboard, cursing "Dammit, why didn't I spring for the extra 2 frets?" I mean, if you guys really really like them, that's awesome, I'm just wondering why. :)

6. Superduck

I like 24 frets because all of my basses have had them so I am simply used to it. I also find it easier to have 2 identical halves of the fret board when switching quickly from low to higher notes.

I suppose that if I had been using a bass with less frets all my life I would be saying that I like the fewer frets.

However after 20 years of playing bass I think I am to old a dog to change!!
    :D

Regards

Matthew