24 fret jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sharp, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Artists Relations, KMI
    Im wondering what my options are in the category of:

24 or so frets
    Jazz or P/J
    good tone all around
    in the area of $1200

I play all types of music and am looking for something with a nice fat sound, but still clear and sparkly in the upper frets. I like Fender and all that, but they just dont have the frets that im finding myself wishing were there. thanks-

2. I like the following in that range...

You can get a Carvin with a lot of customization for that.

Also, MTD Beast for a lot less than that - has passive electronics.

I'm pretty tired right now, so I can't really think of others..

You might consider a used Pedulla Rapture J2 also.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    You could get a tricked out Yamaha BB, or a MTD Saratoga, or a Modulus Genesis or a Carvin whatever.

The Rapture's nice, but it has 22 frets.
  4. How about a 2nd hand ken smith BSR4J. Not sure how much they go for 2nd hand but it is a 24 fret jazz which is first class in sound, looks and build quality.

Regards and happy hunting
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    This is pure curiosity: What's the rationale behind wanting 24 frets? In my experience, I have never been playing and fallen off the freboard, cursing "Dammit, why didn't I spring for the extra 2 frets?" I mean, if you guys really really like them, that's awesome, I'm just wondering why. :)
  6. Superduck

I like 24 frets because all of my basses have had them so I am simply used to it. I also find it easier to have 2 identical halves of the fret board when switching quickly from low to higher notes.

I suppose that if I had been using a bass with less frets all my life I would be saying that I like the fewer frets.

However after 20 years of playing bass I think I am to old a dog to change!!