Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

24 fret short scale...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EXH, Jun 18, 2005.

1. EXH

EXH

Jun 18, 2005
    Windsor Locks, CT
    Anyone know where I can find a cheap one? :eyebrow:

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    All the bolt on's I've ever seen are 21 or less and the 24 fret neckthrough's like Alembics and others from smaller luthiers aren't cheap, unless you luck onto a great deal secondhand. I could have missed a few though....
    Do you really need 24 frets?

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

4. EXH

EXH

Jun 18, 2005
    Windsor Locks, CT
    Wow. Not only have I never seen a 24 fret Fender, but I've never seen any bass with three pups... Thank you! Now all I need is money... :p. What if I buy a 29 3/4" scale 24 fret bass fretboard, and just install that on my Gretsch? I haven't been able to find anything like that, though. The pickup wouldn't even be in the way, either... :eyebrow:

5. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Define "cheap"? cortobass.com has the corto classic at $975.

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    The Stu Hamm is a 32" scale, which most people would call a medium scale.
    Unlikely it would work, as the scale is determined by the nut to bridge saddle distance (or nut to 12th fret, x2) and a neck designed and fretted for a particular scale, ie 29.75" when fitted to another bass body probably won't have the scale length correct and so the frets will be in the wrong positions to intonate correctly.

7. EXH

EXH

Jun 18, 2005
    Windsor Locks, CT
    Cheap as in $300 or less.

I'm talking about keeping everything the same, except the fretboard itself. I'd remove the 19 fret fretboard, then put the 24 fret one on where the fretboard was prior. If the scale of the 24 fret fretboard is the same scale as the 19 fret fretboard, wouldn't it work? If not, why? Thank you, by the way.

8. EXH: if you had a 4 string in mind...

Get a 6-string! You will get the notes you'd find on a 4-string, 24-fret bass... thanks to the string added after G.

9. Wait... it has to be short scale 6-string...

Hmmm...

10. EXH

EXH

Jun 18, 2005
    Windsor Locks, CT
    I'm waiting on my first 6 string, it's in the mail as we speak :D . I wasn't talking about a short scale 6 string though, just a four string. I love the way my Gretsch plays, but I want 24 frets.

11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    If everything else is the same, that would work. But then you're gonna have to get someone to make it (unless it's available as a spare) and change it over, or get someone else to do it for you. May not be cheap.
    OLP MM5. About $US250

12. EXH

EXH

Jun 18, 2005
    Windsor Locks, CT
    How hard do you think it would be to buy some ebony, some fretwire, and make the fretboard myself? Any good wanna-be-luthier websites that anyone knows of?

13. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Nowhere near as easy as you might think. Plus some of the tools can be expensive. Unless you are already a skilled woodworker, it would be far easier to stuff this up than to get it right, possibly damaging your Gretsch permanently in the process. Plus mods like this will destroy any resale value on your current bass.

There is a Luthiers Forum on TB

14. EXH

EXH

Jun 18, 2005
    Windsor Locks, CT
    My bass already has no resale value, haha. There's dings and scratches, and a reeeal big crack in the finish where the neck meets the head.

I don't think I'd be doing any irreparable damage. I'd keep the old fretboard just in case. As long as I am careful, I'd probably be able to return it to it's original state. And, if not, oh well, it was inexpensive in the first place.

15. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
  16. EXH

EXH

Jun 18, 2005
    Windsor Locks, CT
    I'm seriously thinking about it. I hate the color and shape, and I'd rather have active pups, but beggars can't be choosers...

17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I haven't been following USA Urges lately, but one did close recently at about $1300...

The Dean in the link that Fealach gave is a bargain...

18. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Well, if you felt like you're up the the woodworking task of making a new fingerboard for your Gretsch, get the Dean and make a new body...that would be much easier and you could us any pickups that you want.

19. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Kramer Duke

20. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    +1

$169
    30 inch scale
    24 fret neck...

sounds like just what the Dr. [er, EXH anyway] ordered...