Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

24 fret to 22 frets is it easy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sk8terguy316, Dec 24, 2004.

1. How does it feel going from 24 frets to 22 frets does it limit your playing or wiil I not notice it

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its usually noticeable but it wont be that big of a deal. IME.

3. i agreed, it won't be a big deal. But you will notice it.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Doesn't matter to me... but then, I rarely go past the 19th!

5. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    24 frets? 22 frets? You mean there's more than 5 frets on each string?? :eek:

haha just kidding, what bass are you switching to?

6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    If you play up high, it will take a little getting used to. It might make a difference if you slap (I don't, so don't know) or tap. I have 2 4 strings I play in our set, depending on whim mostly, and constantly switching from 24 to 22 (or is it 21?) is bothersome. Some songs I've written basslines to on the 24 fret bass I have to rethink; here and there I like to jump up to that 24th fret for a note or two and I can't without that fret! Sooner or later I'm going to have to decide which to play, but they're both great basses so it's tough.

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Depends what you play. It doesn't matter much. I have 26 and I'm happy.

8. It's worth practising your artificial harmonics to fill in those two extra notes in a pinch (and you can use them for other notes too).

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmph. Some of my basses have 22 frets and some have 24. I couldn't tell you which has which if my life depended on it. I rarely get up above the 16th fret, so I just can't tell the difference.

10. I don't notice it for playing songs, but I like the 24 fret neck for practice. It makes a lot of exercises come out even!

Aloha,

Jonathan

11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Personally, I find that I need 24 frets for tapping, but if I'm playing other stuff, I like 21 or 22 frets. Slapping is easier for me on a 21 or 22 frets as 24 frets doesn't leave me with too much room for my big hands. I suppose it really all depends on what you like to play.

12. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I've gotten used to 24, so whenever I play a bass with less, it feels odd. But then again, I'll use what I have... As long as it has 21 (high E) then its OK.

13. Yea i am using a Soundgear SR400 and it has 24 frets which i use on like one song, but the 24th is fun to screw around with during jam sessions. The bass i want is an Ibanez RKB900 with seymour duncan pickups a bad-ass 2 bridge and hip shot tuners but the only drawback to geting it is it noly has 22 frets

14. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Ditto for me, except that I rarely go past the 17th!

15. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY

Same here, except maybe the 12th :oops:

16. get something with an extra higher string... (like 4-5). Then those extra 2 frets will be the least of the worry when changing :hyper:

17. ksukev

ksukev

Aug 24, 2004
    Kansas
    As I've heard somewhere, don't worry cause for a bass player "There's no money past the 5th fret" lol

18. its a BASS GUITAR!! i dont go past 20

19. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I've used both and prefere 24 or more, but thats because of the way I play. While its not really needed, I use the 24th fret as a reference starting point for harmonics high on the fret board. I also do alot of two hand tapping high up for verious songs I write, so its usefull. I also use like the tone of the very high fretted notes when you crank you lows and low mids.

With all that said though, I really want a Fender P-bass.

Heh.... I guess it all depends on if you really need 2-3 extra frets on your board for what you do.

Sorry if I caused more confusion then help, havent taken my Stratera yet.

20. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Only you can determine if you will notice it. As you've read in other posts, it depends on your playing style. I, personally, do not play up high very often.

I went from a 24 fret Cirrus to a 20 fret Fender P-Bass and I don't miss the extra frets at all.

But again, it depends on your playing style. If you play alot of melodic lines up high, or do alot of soloing you might want the extra frets. Also, the extra frets on a longer scale bass allows for more room up high, even if you don't actually utilize the extra frets, as it opens up the area by the neck and body.