1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

24 Frets -- Help Me Out!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyanJD, Jan 24, 2015.

1. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I suddenly have a strong desire for a 24 fret bass. Currently, I have a Jazz and a Precision, an acoustic bass and a fretless Rickenbacker clone. I want a bass with 24 frets because reasons.
    I've done a couple of searches and didn't come up with much, so I'd like to know what you guys think would be a good option that fits this criteria:
    - 24 frets
    - Easy access to said frets
    - 4 strings
    - Between $300 to $500 (new or used)
    - A modern "solo bass" type sound, or just something "growly"
    (I may or may not sell of my Rick clone, meaning I may or may not be willing to spend a bit more...)

I'm looking for all kinds of input and am open to different pickup and preamp configurations.
    I'm looking at Ibanez, obviously, but what else is out there?

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  2. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Personally, I love my Ibbby SR506 with 24 frets. Got it cheap used too! But you already know this.
    You know what I think (6 strings), but I'd suggest an EADGC 5 stringer for going modern 24 fret solo. In my opinion it is especially the C string where the 24 fret thing really shines.

Quantized Harmonic and RyanJD like this.
  3. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I really like that idea. It never occurred to me before. I'm definitely going to keep it in mind.
    Wouldn't that put a lot of tension on the neck though?

4. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    I'd suggest the Schecter Stiletto and C-4, Ibanez SR, ESP/LTD B or D, each has solid offerings, whether new or used, in that price range. All have very reachable 24th frets.

RyanJD, raventepes and dalahorse like this.
  5. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain

Oct 16, 2011
    I'll second the Schecter C-4. The C-4's actually been discontinued, but from what I can tell, the Omen is the same bass as the C-4.

6. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Nah. There isn't more than a few pounds different between a B string tension and a C string tension. Changes in string gauges make more difference. Most that would happen is needing a truss rod tweak.

I had my Carvin AC50 strung EADGC for years for Blues solos. Worked out great. I thought I might need to get a new nut if the old one buzzed, but I tried it as is and it worked great so I never had a new nut cut.

7. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    The omen is a series that has the same body shape but lesser quality pickups, I meant more the body shape than any specific model, there are also Hellraiser 4s that bear the C4 shape, there are even some basses actually called C4 still available online:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass...4-custom-electric-bass-guitar?rNtt=c4&index=1

A new Schecter that has caught my eye though is the Stiletto Stealth, it's much more affordable than I had previously anticipated

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass...h-4-electric-bass-guitar?rNtt=stealth&index=1

RyanJD likes this.
  8. Fender did a run of 24 fret jazz basses a few years back i see them pop up used from time to time. A buddy had one he let me take it for a "spin." I thought it was a decent bass. I definetly liked having 24frets. As i play high on the neck a lot (even more so on 4 and 5 string) i don't nessissarily play the 23rd or 24th fret much but for me it a better reference of where i am. If i got one id probably change the pickups and refinish the body.

They are extremely hard to find but they also made fretted and fretless Steve Bailey sig 6 string jazz bass with 24 frets.

RyanJD likes this.
  9. I've mainly had 24 feet instruments through the years and yes, the main plus point is easy access for soloing. I was soloing with the Big Band I direct the other day and realised that the Sabre wasn't the bass for the job - I was running out of notes (and room) at the top end, so had to back off and use a different tactic.

So it really is useful and if you're on a budget, look for a used Yamaha TRB II. The wide, yet very thin and flat neck is great for this job, whether you choose 4/5/6 strings. If you want new, have a look at the TRBX 300/500 series too.

RyanJD likes this.
  10. red_rhino

red_rhino Artful Dodger Gold Supporting Member

RyanJD likes this.
  11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

That would fit the bill perfectly IMO. Amazing basses for the $$$. Hard to get much more bass for $500 IME.

An Ibanez BTB would be a great fit as well, but BTB 4 strings are pretty rare. Note: only the B and G strings have 24 frets and the A and E have 23. Looks cool, but is idiotic functionally IMO.

RyanJD likes this.
  12. bassbassbass12345

bassbassbass12345 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2015
    My first bass was a Peavey Grind 5 string, with super comfortable access to the upper register. 24 frets, and they make 4 and 6 string versions too.

13. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    And I complain about running scales up and down my 34" bass.

RyanJD and Teacher like this.
  14. Haha! That'll be iOS changing my bloody worms again! ;)

cchorney likes this.
  15. red_rhino

red_rhino Artful Dodger Gold Supporting Member

It pretty much exactly fits the criteria specified by the OP, doesn't it? I've almost pulled the trigger on a new one of these a couple of times. They're great players. If I didn't already have two spectacular 24 fret 4 strings, I'd be all over this.

-Alan

Baird6869 likes this.
  16. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    Ibanez SR300 or 500. 24 frets, good access, active pups, all around nice basses.

17. SteveV74

SteveV74 Inactive

Jul 24, 2012
    Schecter

18. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    Another vote for the Schecter...a Stiletto Custom 4. It's a great bass! Or the new Session Riot by Schecter. It plays really nice as well.

RyanJD likes this.
  19. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    i had a peavey grind 5 and while I agree that it was incredibly comfortable to play, I don't think it had a "modern solo" tone at all.

20. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    I see lots of love for Schecter basses, I agree!

I have a JD Signature that is amazing.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021