1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

24 frets or 26?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Josh Emmons, Nov 20, 2010.

What one should i get, READ POST BELOW!

Poll closed Aug 16, 2013.
  1. 24 frets

50.0%
  2. 26 frets

50.0%
  1. So I am wondering, what is the difference (other than the 2 extra notes) between a 24 frets, or 26 frets on a bass. fairly simple, I ask this, because I am getting a custom bass built for me, and I like how on my Warwick Thumb it has 26 frets. (and I do in fact reach the super high "A" on the 26 fretted thumb bass. but does it change the sound? and if so, what one should I get? Granted if there the same price.... thanks! and NO TROLLS!!

2. It doesn't change the sound, just gives you 2 more frets.

3. STRICTLY personal pref here, but I like the feel of a 20 fret neck, especially for slap. That said, if I had to choose 26 or 24 I'd go 24- I don't need the range & have a hard enough time playing cleanly up high on the couple of 24 fretters I have.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

^^^Truth. And for me, even 20 frets is about 8 more than I ever use...so I didn't vote.

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I don't think the # of frets has any impact on any bass' tone. Slappers are the ones who find noticeable differences since the longer the fingerboard (which doesn't necessarily means a longer scale) the closer to the bridge you must move your right hand for slapping. Other than that, nothing aside having more notes on the high register.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    If you're using the 26th on your Thumb, why not? Go for it! :)

7. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    I've got three basses with 26 frets cause it's two more than 24. I too have hit the high A on occasion.

8. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    just curiouse. my traben has 24 frets, while my p bass has 20. The frets on the Traben are closer spaced. Is this typical for all basses that have 24?

9. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    If you use the 26th fret now, then I sure wouldn't want to go without it if I were you.

Lots of people go on and on about not even needing 20 frets, the money is in the first 12 frets, it's a bass not a guitar and all that crap. Their opinion is not relevant in your case since you use the 26th fret.

And, as has been said, I think the only change in sound from more frets would be when slapping. Again, if you've been happy with 26, why change it? :)

Can I ask what kind of custom you are looking at. We all like to live vicariously around here. :)

10. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Does change the sound. No not for normal playing but for slap. Personally I prefer the idea of two octaves up the strings and hence many of my basses have 24 frets. I probably wouldn't use an extra 2 frets. BUT. IMHO, a 20 fret bass really produces the best slap tone. A 24 fret is not nearly as nice and I presume a 26 fret bass is worse still. My theory is that it has to do with where (in the ratio of distances) the strings strike the end of the neck. As you move that point toward the bridge the slap tone seems to worsen.

11. Go for it..., you like 26 already.
    I'm getting a 36 fret (fretless built). I am looking forward to more notes.