24 frets VS other

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Si-bob, Dec 5, 2001.

1. 24

19 vote(s)
  2. Less

6 vote(s)
  3. More

3 vote(s)
  4. Whichever

17 vote(s)
  1. just a little poll here
    which do u prefer? 24 frets, more, less or whichever?

personally i prefer 24 frets ( i haven't tried a bass with more)
    partly because i feel more a home on it, phsycological, and partly because i play a lot of chordal pieces and i don't wanna feel cramped up wen i'n only at the 19th fret

which do YOU prefer and why?

2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I don't care as long as it's 20, 21, 22, or 24.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i THINK i need 24 or more frets (my thumb is 26)

but then i play a fender jazz bass and don't feel wanting for anything so....

4. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I thought I preferred less but lately I always seem to gravitate toward those with 24. I mess with chords a lot too so maybe that's the appeal. I've never played one with more.
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    24 feels just about right.
  6. It doesn't matter to me too much. On a 4 string 21 or 22 is fine for me. On my 5 I have 22 and on the 6 coming there are 24. I can see having more frets on a multi string bass, like 28 or 36 on a 6 or 7 string, but on a 4 that would be overkill, IMO. The multistring/extended range basses have a use for 36 frets, but I just can't see the point of that many frets on a 4 string, but to each his own.

7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I had a 24 fret 5-string for about a year.. and i thought anything less would be uncivilized... but now that I have my ray, I am not missing those extra frets... and I am ok with that :)
  8. I have a two-octave Cirrus and a 20 fret Fender. I really don't miss the extra four frets.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's what works for me. I also have a 25 which does nothing for me.
  10. Does not make much difference to me at all.... the only thing I have to half way think about was where the false harmonics were.

I had a Conklin that was 28 frets... but what the hell, it's a 7 string bass - so the extra 4 didn't do much for me (except confuse me) ;)
  11. G

Apr 12, 2000
    I guess that I don't care either, as longs as I can get up to that high E on the G. That is my only real qualm with my fenders. More than once I have reached for it and it wasn't there. My six has 24, which is nice for the occasional wanking.
  12. How 'bout a 25 year old durl, Brad? Just outta college, not sure what they're gonna do with their life, FLAT TUMMY! ;)

I prefer 24. (frets, that is.)

Mike J. :D
  13. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'd like to have a 34" scale, 24 fret bass. Anyone have one of those? I may even consider a 25 fretter, b/c I find those last couple frets are as not usually accesible. I had a Stu Hamm urge 2 for a short time, which had 24 frets and a 34" scale. But there is no way you could get to those last 2 frets, unless you are tapping of course. The heel was way too thick.
  14. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I am having a custom built right now that is 35' scale and frettless from the 14th up. I dont do much playing in that high area so no fretts required, 14 fretts is good.
  15. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    The only fret i never touch is the 20th one on my p-bass. so, ill take whatever. as long as it doesnt have less than 20 on it.
  16. i prefere the 2 octave for 6 strings and above but would really like a 3 octave fretless six (al a manring's hyperbass)
  17. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Number of frets is not really a consideration for me. Bass is bass.
  18. RS, most Yamaha basses have exactly that; 34" scale and 24 frets. I have one and it kinda spoiled me because when I go back to a bass with 20 frets, I feel a bit limited. Check out their RBX and BB series. I think the MTD Kingston 4 string is 34" w 24 frets as well.

Mike J.
  19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Trust me... I have enough problems already