Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

24 frets VS other

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Si-bob, Dec 5, 2001.

1. 24

19 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. Less

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. More

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Whichever

17 vote(s)
    37.8%
  1. just a little poll here
    which do u prefer? 24 frets, more, less or whichever?

personally i prefer 24 frets ( i haven't tried a bass with more)
    partly because i feel more a home on it, phsycological, and partly because i play a lot of chordal pieces and i don't wanna feel cramped up wen i'n only at the 19th fret

which do YOU prefer and why?

*Si*

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I don't care as long as it's 20, 21, 22, or 24.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i THINK i need 24 or more frets (my thumb is 26)

but then i play a fender jazz bass and don't feel wanting for anything so....

jason

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I thought I preferred less but lately I always seem to gravitate toward those with 24. I mess with chords a lot too so maybe that's the appeal. I've never played one with more.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    24 feels just about right.

6. My EDC has 2 octaves.. :D

7. It doesn't matter to me too much. On a 4 string 21 or 22 is fine for me. On my 5 I have 22 and on the 6 coming there are 24. I can see having more frets on a multi string bass, like 28 or 36 on a 6 or 7 string, but on a 4 that would be overkill, IMO. The multistring/extended range basses have a use for 36 frets, but I just can't see the point of that many frets on a 4 string, but to each his own.

Geoff

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I had a 24 fret 5-string for about a year.. and i thought anything less would be uncivilized... but now that I have my ray, I am not missing those extra frets... and I am ok with that :)

9. I have a two-octave Cirrus and a 20 fret Fender. I really don't miss the extra four frets.

allan

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's what works for me. I also have a 25 which does nothing for me.

11. Does not make much difference to me at all.... the only thing I have to half way think about was where the false harmonics were.

I had a Conklin that was 28 frets... but what the hell, it's a 7 string bass - so the extra 4 didn't do much for me (except confuse me) ;)

12. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I guess that I don't care either, as longs as I can get up to that high E on the G. That is my only real qualm with my fenders. More than once I have reached for it and it wasn't there. My six has 24, which is nice for the occasional wanking.

13. How 'bout a 25 year old durl, Brad? Just outta college, not sure what they're gonna do with their life, FLAT TUMMY! ;)

I prefer 24. (frets, that is.)

Mike J. :D

14. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'd like to have a 34" scale, 24 fret bass. Anyone have one of those? I may even consider a 25 fretter, b/c I find those last couple frets are as not usually accesible. I had a Stu Hamm urge 2 for a short time, which had 24 frets and a 34" scale. But there is no way you could get to those last 2 frets, unless you are tapping of course. The heel was way too thick.

15. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I am having a custom built right now that is 35' scale and frettless from the 14th up. I dont do much playing in that high area so no fretts required, 14 fretts is good.

16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    The only fret i never touch is the 20th one on my p-bass. so, ill take whatever. as long as it doesnt have less than 20 on it.

17. i prefere the 2 octave for 6 strings and above but would really like a 3 octave fretless six (al a manring's hyperbass)

18. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Number of frets is not really a consideration for me. Bass is bass.

19. RS, most Yamaha basses have exactly that; 34" scale and 24 frets. I have one and it kinda spoiled me because when I go back to a bass with 20 frets, I feel a bit limited. Check out their RBX and BB series. I think the MTD Kingston 4 string is 34" w 24 frets as well.

Mike J.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Trust me... I have enough problems already

;)