1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

24 variations 4 finger sequence

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Myke Myke, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Myke Myke

Myke Myke

Apr 29, 2008
    Washington DC
    how important do you think this is to your practice?

just wondering cause I'm starting to question if i should continue doing all 24 each day?

2. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    Personally to me is a great way to warm up for practice.

3. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    what exactly does this mean?

4. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    google "bass string permutations" - you'll find some nice charts showing some great left hand exercises.

EDIT: Here's a link:

http://www.adamnitti.com/bass_player_02.shtml

Go down to the "Practicing using permutations" section.

5. EchoEcho

EchoEcho

Oct 14, 2007
    UK
    I do finger permutations every day now, along with other exercises such as the spider etc.

6. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    ha thanks ya'll

this site is cool, looks like i got some fresh new lesson material for a while!

7. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Start adding string skipping to the 24 patterns. Try making 1 be G-string, 2, D-string, 3 A-string, 4 E-string. Then reverse 1 E-string and so on. Do things like 1 and 3 on one string and 2 and 4 on another. Working not letting your fingers float above strings when not in use. Keep them low or on the string supporting the others. Do the 24 as hammer on's which will also make you focus on right and left hand string muting. Add stretches to the 24 by adding a empty fret between 1 finger and 2 finger, same with 3 and 4. Go up the neck and add both stretches. Do the 24 patterns up the neck as well as down totally different experience. Make up rhythms to do do the 24 in. Slap them with thumb on first note and plucks on the others. Add shifts to the 24 as you change strings shift positions. And you thought your were done.

Practicing is all about challenging yourself, once you got something down find ways to make it more challenging.

8. Myke Myke

Myke Myke

Apr 29, 2008
    Washington DC
    good stuff!!!
    and your right you dont want to rehearse!

9. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    i have a couple brief questions about this method. first of all let me preface that this practice tool is new to me.

i read the original website and all your advice but i'm still wondering the most practical way to practice this. i found that when reading the numbers from his website, my eyes got lost in the mix of numbers. so my solution was to copy and past them into word and make them a bigger font and at some double spacing. this worked very well!

but i wanted to see how all of you worked out your patterns.

thanks

10. Myke Myke

Myke Myke

Apr 29, 2008
    Washington DC
    yeah soon u wont need the print out though you'll just know them :lol9
    and how they sound

11. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    thats good to know, do you guys sing what your playing?