1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

240 watt amp and 200 watt cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by topper, Apr 27, 2006.

1. I've got an 8 ohm cab that will handle 200 watts (rms). I'm considering buying an amp that puts out 240 watts into 8 ohms.

Is this reasonably safe as long as I don't set the volume on the amp above 75% volume?

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    You can't look at the master volume as directly controlling how much wattage your amp sends, as it just doesn't work that way. Your EQ, preamp gain, input level, etc. all come into play. For example I used to bounce off the limiter in my old SWR head with the master volume under 2 on a regular basis.

That being said, you probably won't run into a problem with that setup as long as you don't go gonzo on the lower spectrum of the EQ. If your amp has a limiter make sure you aren't reaching it, and make sure your speakers aren't farting out. Or not much anyhow. :)

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    No problem.

4. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Should be fine man. That extra 40 watts will not be enough to blow a speaker. I doubt you will be playing the amp wide open either way, no worries.