Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

24frets/PJ pup/4strings/High End basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by larrytron, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Hi everyone,
    I currently play a Fbass bn5,I love it but I'd like to get a 4 strings with PJ
    pickups, 24 frets .As a deluxe backup....:p . I'm falling in love with the Fodera Monarch V Wooten classic but it's
    heee....hum...$$$PRICEY$$$! I'd like to get a high end bass to keep the pleasure of
    handmade( or just really well made). intruments
    Do you have an idea about other brands/luthiers that make similar basses?
    I'm not in a hurry because I don't have that much of money but it's just know for what I'll be saving for.
    Thanks!

2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    im a huge kubicki fan so i recomend one of those but since you want p pups, ive heard pedulla's are real nice, and the high end spectors, but the victor wooten bass should eb amazing, wish i could play one.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If you're looking at a high-end, possibly customizable, bass, the specs (number of frets, pickups, etc.) are probably not as important as the tone/performance you're after. Since you have some time, I'd recommend doing some critical thinking about what it is that you're looking for in a bass. Looks and specs can often be changed, but tone and playability will be "in" the particular bass you end up with no matter what! ;) In general, I've found that if an instrument doesn't feel, play, and sound the way you want it, it really doesn't matter what it looks like or what color it is....it probably won't get played. :bassist:

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I second the Pedulla suggestion. Neck thru just like a Fodera, feels and souns killer.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hill Custom makes a very nice P/J four string-I'm likely to get a five-string version of this next week. Good price too.
    [​IMG]

6. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Sadowsky can make ya one, or 10 or 20 if ya got the cash

7. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Check out the Blue Streamer Stage 1 that Bob at www.basspalace.com has. It plays and sounds like a Fodera to me. Iplayed it last weekend at a guitar show and it knocked my socks off, it was unlike any other warwick I ever played. It's got the Mojo, Man!

8. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Check out the Blue Streamer Stage 1 that Bob at www.basspalace.com has. It plays and sounds like a Wooten Fodera to me. I played it last weekend at a guitar show and it knocked my socks off, it was unlike any other warwick I ever played. It's got the Mojo, Man!

9. Ok thanks guys!
    I owned a Spector, they're really good soundings basses but the only problem
    is the lower cut; I can't access to the highs easily( not that I often go there, but when
    I do, I expect a bass to give me what I want...)
    Pedullas look good I'd like to try one to get an opinion.
    Nevertheless, Fodera Wooten is really beautiful. I wish I could find one for half the price(Wake up,man!!!!:D ).
    Thanks again, If you have any other input, go ahead!

10. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    the Fodera Wooten not only LOOKs great, but it plays and sounds great too. you can find them used for $2500 but you gotta really look for them at that price

there are several other makers to check out too: Roscoe, Nordstrand, Huff, and many more.... I really love Elrick basses, but those are 35 inch scale basses, and thats not for everyone