1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

250/500k pot for P-bass?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by T-Mac, Apr 6, 2009.

1. T-Mac

T-Mac

Feb 2, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hi folks,

I'm in the process of assembling a sweet Warmoth passive P-bass (nice heavy piece of alder...I like my basses up around 10lbs). I'm not sure if the fretboard will be maple or rosewood at this point.

There will be a bridge pickup (haven't decided exactly what yet), and I will wire each PUP with a stacked vol/tone pot.

Now, onto my question. If I go with stacked 250/500k pots, will the 500 brighten the alder to a more ash-like tone? (which would be fine w/me), or should I look for a stacked 250/250 pot?

Thanks for any info!

Mac.

2. it would probably help a lot if we knew what bridge pickup you were planning on using. From what little I know in the pot department, a 500 will brighten the pickup, but no more than whats already expected.

but I have been wrong before...

3. T-Mac

T-Mac

Feb 2, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks for the responses. Cody, I am going with a Fender classic '62 pickup in the standard position and a Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounder P-bass in the bridge. (Yes...2 p bass pickups. I don't care for bridge jazz PUPS).

Each PUP wired thru a dual concentric vol/tone pot.

4. for vol. go for the 500... but with tone it all comes down to taste... with 250 you loose a bit of the top end... or more warmth...
    from my point of view... get all pots 500... if there is too much brightness you can always take it away... but adding it is a bit harder!!!