1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

$250 for new electronics. Suggestions please.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rakie, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Rakie

Rakie Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

Well, I have an Ibanez BTB 406QM (6 string)... Not the greatest bass, but its insanely comfy on my hands which is very important to me, so its worth putting some money in.

Basically im looking at everything. Fret leveling, full setup, shave the neck a little, new nut and new electronics. I got a nice hook up so I can get the maint. cheap, the expensive part will be electronics...

SO. Any options will be considered. I could just drop in pickups and make it like a big fender with Vol/Vol/Tone or I can go active.

Nordies and Audere's are kinda out of the price range. Otherwise suggest away.

~Thanks.

EDIT: I Play everything... I like Jazz / Funk, metal, rock, blues, RnB. I kinda like the Newer tones, not so much into vintage sound.

2. Good question- I also have one of these and was thinking along the same lines... Interested to see the replies.

MattO

3. Rakie

No suggestions ?

4. Beta

Beta

May 9, 2007
    I'm going to take a guess that your bass has Bartolini MK I pickups and the stock preamp with 5 knobs for the electronics. (Edit: actually, it probably doesn't have Bart MK Is- it probably has something closer to the EMG style housing.)

Measure your pickup housings. Bartolini is almost certain to have something else you can drop in.

A Bart NTMB or Aguilar 3 band is probably easy to find in a 5 knob configuration. The Bart's bass frequency is at 30 Hz, and the Aguilar's is 40 Hz. The latter may be the more useful frequency, because most cabinets don't list their response being lower than 40 Hz (a low B is something like 38 Hz). The Bart, however, gives you more flexibility in the midrange selection (centers at 250, 500 or 800 Hz compared to the Aguilar's 400 or 800 Hz).

The Aguilar usually has a switch for the mid frequency, so you'll need to get a harness with a push/pull on the mid pot unless you want someone to have to drill a hole for the switch.

All of this stuff is going to cost you more than $250 for a set of 6 string pickups and the electronics, though. Some of Bartolini's 6 string pickup sets go for $300- no other electronics included.

You could just replace the stock preamp, then add new pickups later. The electronics I put in my GWB35 only ran me about $235, but I only needed one pickup (and a two knob configuration).

5. Rakie

Thanks much !

I didn't know Bartolini were that price, id thought they used to be cheaper, my buddy got Nordstrand fat stacks for only a little more then what you have said.

I've also been entertaining the idea of just getting a new bass as well, heh.

6. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    ell i had an ibanez sr400 that i loved...

played great, felt great.

but it sounded... so-so.

then there were darkstars.

im waiting for the pics to upload, but best move i made ever.

it did cost a solid 500 tho...

7. Rakie

Yeah. I sold my 6 string cirrus cause it hurt my hands, but I loved the sound, I sold my lakland 55-01 because of the tone, I figured it put it into my friends BTB (That I bought from him) but after I sold my Lakland my amp died, leaving me not enough money to fix a bass or buy an amp.

So i've been bass/amp-less for MONTHS.

Thinking of possibly going for another Lakland or fixing up the BTB... Tough choice, cause the BTB needs some physical work as well as new electronics :(

8. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Bartolini make two different sizes for thier 6 string pickups. The size of my peavey 6er was the same as the emg 45 shape. I could have got cheaper emg hz pickups put in but went for the barts. I could have had dual coil for 250 but went for the quad coils (xxm56c) at 300 for the pair. Best money I ever spent on a bass. I also put in an aggie obp-3 it now sounds awesome. I got the barts through Brian at best bass gear and would do so again if i was doing any upgrading. Just a suggestion.

9. Rakie

awesome, thanks very much.

I've also thought of just maybe making it passive, not sure.. id like to save as much as possible while still putting some good money in it.