Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$250 gigs are great...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Until they're cancelled the day of.

Just have to vent. Was supposed to play a gig tonight that pays us $250 each that I was totally counting on, and there was a screwup that may have been my guitarists fault. We're not playing... I manage my finances too tightly. This is a hard hit.

Also got word that I was bumped from another group I was playing with which is a bit of a shot to the pride. The drummer and I were chucked and while I was told it was because of lack of availability - the drummer just told me on the phone it's because our attitude really sucked at a rehearsal before the last gig we did. Our attitude did suck, nuther lesson learned. We were rehearsing with this guys band, and bumblefoot (the drummer and I were playing with both) in the same studio - we're into the bumblefoot stuff, not into this guys stuff and it was embarrassingly evident. bumblefoots music lit us up, this guys put us to sleep. we got fired. oh well - it was only about a gig a month and the pay wasn't so great.

I FEEL LIKE CRAP. I'M WASTING MY DAY ON THE COMPUTER AND I HAVE NOTHING TO DO THIS EVENING. I'M GETING REALLY DEPRESSED. I'M GOING TO GO RUNNING NOW. THAT USUALLY HELPS. SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME SOMETHING REALLY NICE LIKE YOU'RE GOING TO PAYPAL ME SOME MONEY SINCE YOU FEEL BAD FOR ME. OR YOU'RE GOING TO BUY MY CURBOW BASSS WHICH IS A REALLY GREAT, AND DESPERATE DEAL, AT $250. OR YOU JUST HEARD THAT GUNS AND ROSES FINALLY FINISHED THEIR ALBUM, ARE GOING ON TOUR, AND WANT ME TO PLAY BASS FOR THEM CUZ THEY READ MY PROFILE IN B.P. MAGAZINE.

2. I'm not quite Guns 'n' Roses but I did see you in B.P. Magazine. I like the goatee :bassist: :)

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry to here of your cancellation Joe.

4. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    LOL...BWaaaahahahah....Wish I could Bro. I have a house payment now and bigger bills than I use to. And on top of all of that my wife decides two quit her job after we bought the house. Last week when I payed my house payment I watched my two week pay check disappear and then some. And I don't have any gigs. :bawl:

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Well I just knocked back a $250 gig. I could sure use the money. But as soon as I saw the set list, I knew i was in trouble. Something like 40 songs and I'd never heard of most of them (it's a Country style theatre restaurant show - I'm not big on Country). And I wasn't going to have time to listen to the songs beforehand. So I threw the gig to someone else.

It may have cost me $250 now, but it would have cost me more in the long run if I turned up and ruined the gig. So could someone send me money too? My rent is due.

And Joe, at least you're honest with yourself about your attitude. It's a typical behaviour from a musician who's only doing the gig for the money. Are we in this for the money? If so, we're in it for the wrong reason. You've gotta have your heart in it as well or else there's no point!

6. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Hmm... as I'm still not in the greatest mood, that didn't exactly hit me in a pleasant way. If I were in music or bass playing only for the money I think I would have packed it in somewhere along the 20 years I've been doing it. I happen to fortunately be in a place now where the money I earn playing music counts for more than half my income. Because of this and the fact that I just bought my second Bongo in a few months, the above comes as a somewhat hard and unexpected hit. I'll be fine though. Just felt the need to vent a bit.

I also don't quite get what's wrong with playing music for money anyhow? You say there's no point? OK. I'll play bass for money, you can happily do whatever day job you do. Perhaps you like it more than playing bass which would make me think your playing bass is more pointless than to one who plays "only for the money". I read somewhere recently about a working musician that said whenever someone calls him "mercenary" in a derogatory way, he feels like screaming back, "plummer!".

Certain gigs I get don't completely move me, but they pay. Those gigs I'm doing for the money and granted I can mend my attitude a bit, as I've already said I've learned. I'd still rather do those gigs than work a 9-5 and jump on the train during rush hour. Haven't found a single thing I like doing better than playing bass, and I intend to earn a good living doing it. That's just the way it is.

7. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Either that or learn to fake it real well. Even the big names have songs they hate or are so tired of playing they could barf. Gotta just fake the flow sometimes if you need the money.

Edit: Joe you hit the button before I did. I agree 100%. But sometimes as you have learned you have to look enthused even if it really sucks. Way back many moons ago I played Disco. Hated it but it paid the bills. All during those years my mantra was and this too shall pass.

8. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Made use of the free time tonight and completed a demo I started fiddling with on a new 8 track I bought a couple of weeks ago. Funny you should mention disco... while this isn't disco it ain't nuthin like what I usually do, and ironically enough it was inspired by the guy who fired me.

www.thenerve.info/joenerve

It's my practice song for the new 8 track and it's just a demo so don't go so hard on me if it ain't yer thing. :) Remember I'm having a sucky day too.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I wasn't having a go at you. I wasn't implying you only play in acts you hate because you're a money chaser, or even that there is such a type of person in general. We've all ended up in bands we don't particularly like at some stage, and we've all taken the same bad attitude into them at times. If anything I was giving you credit for admiting it.

As it happens I also make more than half my income from playing bass. I've been guilty of it in the past too, taking gigs I wasn't really in to because they paid, and it doesnt usually end well. On the flip side, put yourself in the shoes of the people who are chasing the dream that the project represents. I've poured my heart and soul into certain projects only to find that the people I relied on were only in it for a quick buck. It broke my heart and it's become a pet hate of mine.

If anything it's about balancing the personal satisfaction with the financial reward.

10. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I hear ya. Sorry bout jumpin back at you. I really am in a bad space today. I think I suffer from PMS on top of the normal blues when things don't go the way I'd like them to.

Interesting note: I recieved an unexpected check for $160 this afternoon (something complicated that I thought wasn't happening and gave up on), plus my girl can't come to a party I was invited to where I was going to have to shell out at least $100. Now going alone I can give $50. That plus eating in instead of out pretty much made up for the lost $250. :) I believe my god likes me, I'm the only one who gives myself a hard time.

11. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    No offense taken - tis true. I need to have a little bit more saved before I do crazy things like purchase Bongos, but I think they're a disease. And in all honesty - I'm gonna be fine. I work my finances out so I CAN take a hit like this, it just hurts. I don't work my other job over the summer and i try to save enough to pay ALL my summer bills without any music earnings before the end june comes around. This way even if every gig I have cancells from June thru September I'm still be fine. I'm not quite where I want to be yet with the savings, so this is really only putting that back. I can and will pay all my bills. I just deal with things by complaining cuz I've given up all my other outlets in my quest for a healthier life.

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey Joe,

Have you considered doing a little investing to suppliment your income? $20 or $30 a month may help with a nice divedend payment every now and then. Plus, you would also be investing in a retirement plan (from what I can remember, you're day job is substitute teaching. I don't know what kind of benefits/plans that kind of gig would have).

I know how you feel though. I pay the bills with music too. Granted, they aren't a lot of bills, but I still rely on the money. I'm a full-time college student and given the choice of playing music and working at Wal-Mart, it isn't a hard choice to make. About two months ago, we got cancelled the night before a gig. To make a long story short, one of the waitresses got us confused with another band that called and cancelled their gig for the following week. She thought it was our band for some reason. The next week was rough, especially with the fuel situation, as getting to school is contigent on that money.

It worked out in the end though. We were hired to play the next weekend (because that's the date that the band cancelled. Of coure, we got that miscommunication cleared up). We played to one of the biggest crowds we've ever been in front of and actually made $200 more than what the gig was originally negotiated for. Maybe it was luck, karma, or God, but it's kind of funny how things worked out that way.

People think of what we (we as in musicians, especially pro musicians) do as "play" or "not work", but the business we are in is VERY rough, maybe even the roughest around.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    To hell with that:

Kill your way across half of creation. Seems to work well enough for me. Wanton destruction solves everything.