Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$250 Jazz/Pep Band Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by edulmes, May 13, 2005.

1. edulmes

edulmes

Aug 21, 2004
    Oostburg WI
    Hello,

I am looking for an amp for our school. They currently have a Vintage 70's Fender Bassman 100 with the Silver Face (I am pretty sure they bought it new!). They and I love it. However, the thing is huge, and traveling to games is not easy with it. Usually they haul along a Peavy 70w keyboard amp combo. EDIT: I should add that they are planning on keeping the Bassmann, for the times they need a big, warm tube amp.

I am looking for a secondary amp for them, being the new bass player. They want something that can be easily transported, but has a very warm sound for the Jazz combo/ensemble, but also should be loud enough for a gymnasium full of people. The bass does not have to be dominating, just has to have a presence. They have around $250 budgeted for one, but that is slightly flexible.

I am looking at an Ashdown Five Fifteen Combo. Some sites say it is 100W, others say it is 65. The Ashdown site says 100. I can't find much reliability information on it, though. I don't know if this thing will give us the sound I want, or will be loud enough.

Also, I have a slight interest in the Behringer (GASP!) BX1200. This one looks nice because it is cheap and powerful. I myself have a BX600, and I like it. It does, however have a fuzz at higher volumes, and buzzes with high treble.

Some of the new not-yet-released Behringers, but there is obviously no user opinions for them yet.

There is the SWR LA15 and Drive B120, but I don't know how reliable the Drive brand is, and if the SWR will be loud enough.

The teacher would like a Hartke or Fender, but for under 250, there's not much powerful amps.

If any of you are in a similar situation or own one of these amps, please let me know.

Thanks!
    Eric Dulmes

2. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    no one else is helping you out here, so i will try. YOu will need at least 100 watts, i play what you do, jazz and pep and the pep rig is a lot differnt than the jazz. I cant write more now because i have a gig at school, lol.

BUMP

-eric

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Check out Fender combos.

4. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    In that price range I would go for a used Ashdown Mag300 and a used Avatar. :D :D :D

5. You should probably look at the used market. I'm no expert on amps, but when I was looking for a practice amp, it seemed like for about 250 bucks, looking at new combo amps, you'll get a small amp good enough for practice or a small intimate gig, but nothing that will come close to filling a gym.

6. My schools jazz band uses a Kustom KBA 100X, usually retails around $340. Its got a nice sound to it, they use it for both electic bass and upright. Might be a little out of your price range, but just something to throw out there. 100 watts through a 15".

7. edulmes

edulmes

Aug 21, 2004
    Oostburg WI
    I just got my Zzounds.com newsletter, and they have a Ashdown 307w MAGC115T Combo. It looks pretty nice, and 300w would be very nice.

However, the Zzounds.com 'customers' give it a 6.3 out of 10, but no one posted text reviews. I know that these aren't always accurate, but that seems kinda low.

I was wondering if Ashdowns are reliable and sound good.

It looks like a steal, considering it is $110 more new.

Also, there is only one left, so I need to convince my band teacher to go over budget $70. And quickly.

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I'd suggest a little Ashdown combo perhaps. SMASH has some soundclips of two Ashdown combo's somewhere..