Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

250$ to waste

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MadPink, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Power source for your pedals

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. Chorus

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  3. Volume Pedal

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. cables

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. EQ pedal/rack

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  6. Whammy Pedal

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  7. Other

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  8. My mother

14 vote(s)
    31.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. If you had 250$ to waste (like me) what would you buy?

My rig consists of:

Sansamp bass DI
    Boss Flanger
    Wah pedal
    Boss DD-5
    Boss ODB-3
    Marshall SuperVibe Chorus (which is horrible on bass)
    and a Cheap Tunner.

2. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I'd buy a good tuner, floor or rack.

Or a power supply, surge protector and 9 volt adapters ease my mind when I play.

But that's just me. Also, I'd ditch the Marshall chorus since you don't like it on bass. If you use it for guitar is the only reason I see for you to keep it, and I don't even know if you play guitar.

3. A vintage Mutron III then you could concievably lose both the flanger AND the chorus. I can cop all sorts of modulation-style FX with my bevy o' filters; sounds like a phaser in a lot of ways but far more versatile. Will warm up any of your creepy digital fx bigtime as well...click on w/o too much sweep to add a lovely soft+warm analog nuance to your delay for example? Just a thought.

4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Send it to me and I'll send you a Custom "Air Bass"
    :D

5. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I'd bank the money toward a new amp. I "really need one".

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would say - in order of priority (music/bass stuff)

Lessons/Classes
    Workshops
    Sheet Music
    Instructional Books/CDs
    Music CDs
    High Quality Strings

7. im glad that my mother is popular.

8. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I think in some ways you're very right here, but I don't agree on a couple of those: to me, books/cds don't help anyone but an absolute beginner too much, IME; as well, strings go a little higher in my book, say, right below lessons; Workshops are great, but not much of a priority for me, because there aren't many around. I do agree with you in that instruction/learning is vastly important, though.

Since he posted here, though, there's no sense in trying to tell him what he does or doesn't want, so I suggest a filter and/or power supplies.

9. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    you could become a supporting member..... ;)

10. Hahaha..!! Best suggestion yet by far. Do that and you could still score a decent filter as well. Good one.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I disagree - I think that books/CDs like the Jamey Aebersold playalongs are used by anyone at any level to woodshed and improve in terms of Jazz soloing. The Mingus "More than a Play-along" for example, is aimed at quite a high level of Jazz bass player.

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I tend to agree with Bruce's suggestions. Spend it on learning, rather than gear. Maybe a few lessons, theory books (and don't say 'theory kills creativity' ;)), CDs, music maybe. And strings too, as Bruce says. Having money is an opportunity to try different kinds of strings you haven't tried before, as we all know bass strings ain't cheap like guitar strings.

13. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    I was in your same situation for $250, heres wat i got:
    Dunlop bass crybaby 105q
    Digitech bass driver overdrive/distortion
    Elixir Nano web strings
    Fender patch cables

and I did try every thing at the store wit my bass and a similar amp (hartke ha3500/goliath 2x10 VS. Hartke 7000/swr working mans 4x10) and man did it sound nice. I love setting the bass driver to the Proco rat setting, and wah-ing the hell out of it.

14. Yeah, with the current exchange rate $250 CDN works out to about...$0.09 US.