Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

250 watts into 175watts RMS?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iplaybass, Mar 6, 2002.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Hey guys, its me again... here's my new problem. I bought an amp, a nice SM-400S for $500. Now, I need a cab... I am looking at a Peavey 210tx for $225. Not the best cab, I know, but price is the limiting factor here. I know this will handle 175 watts RMS and 300 peak(all at 4ohms). My new amp puts out 250watts@4ohms into each channel. I guess what I'm asking is, is this a good idea in the first place, and how can I protect the speakers and tweeter? I really can't afford blown speakers... this would put me back quite a bit. Would you recommend another cab for a similiar price? I am looking to get a 2x10 and later a 1x15(though the order is not necessarily important, I could use one as much as the other). Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

PS: GAS anyone?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I guess the Peavey is 8 Ohm, which means the amp will deliver only 2/3 of its rated power. But even if it's 4 Ohm this combination should be safe.
    It's no problem to use amps that are more powerful than the cabs, just exercise regular caution.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    as long as you're not cranking the amp to the point of clipping, you won't have a problem.

however peavey cabs (and any other 2x10 you'll find for around that price) are kinda inefficient, so if you play in a really loud band you may end up clipping it.

but after you throw a 15 under it it should rock.

go for it.

4. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Alright, thanks guys! I think that is the setup I will be going with. I'll have it all set up in about two weeks... I can hardly wait!:D Hehe... my guitar player will never know what hit him...

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Why get the Peavey 2x10 when you can do this AND be safe with the wattage. Link

6. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Never tried them but AVATAR sells a 2x10 with 400watt RMS and 8 Ohms for around $199. It seems worth checking out.

www.avatarspeakers.com