1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

250 watts stereo vs 500 watts mono

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowfrq, Sep 20, 2008.

1. lowfrq

lowfrq Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Ventura County,Ca
    I just got my new avatar 410 neo cab (4 ohm), wow it sounds great! But, I have a very loud drummer & loud guitars( classic rock, etc.) I need more volume.
    I have an SWR SM400s 550 watts bridged into 4 ohms. I want to add either another avatar410neo or the 212 . Would I get more volume running in stereo mode @ 250 watts ea @ 4 ohms?
    Replacing the 410 W/ an 8 ohm cab is not an option!
    :help:

2. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

First make sure it's not an eq issue (like scooped out mids).
    Make sure you're not cutting mids and boosting lows.
    If not, you'll probably have to buy a more powerful amp.
    Adding a second cab will help a *little*, but probably not enough, and I doubt that is the real issue.
    You could make the guitarists aim their amps at their own heads.
    Might make them turn down a touch! :ninja:

3. Very good point.

Actually, the opposite is true, most of the time. More speaker area almost always equates to more SPL/volume -- all other things being equal.
    For example, doubling up on poweramp output into the same, existing cab(s) will make a bit of volume increase (3db). But, doubling the cab/driver compliment nearly always will be a very big noticable increse.

Then, you could double up on power and speakers! That's how to have a whole lotta pant flappin' fun! :D

As humorus as this sounds :)D), there's a whole lotta truth to that statement.
    As an example; I've worked as a FOH engineer where the guitarist used a foldback floor wedge built just as an extension of his amp rig. He had the typical M 4x12 in his backline, but when using the floor wedge he immediately turned down his stage rig. The wedge was firing right into his face!
    As a footnote, he was also very easy to work with and very knowledgable and conscious of stage sound and its issues -- as was most of the band. :p Made my life at FOH a lot nicer to work. ;)

4. I have an SWR sm400s and in my experience it sounds best bridged mono. Tight, punchy and loud. If you need more volume than what the amp produces bridged mono into a 4 ohm 4x10 cab your problem is with your bandmates, not your gear. As mentioned above, set the eq flat. You might reduce 40 Hz and below. Then experiment with the Aural Enhance knob moving from completely off to 2/3 on and see if a particular setting floats your boat. Running two cabs at 250 watts each -- in my experience -- sounds thinner, without the thick punch I prefer.