250 watts to a Goliath III?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Sep 6, 2002.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Pretty soon I should be picking up a Mo' Bass and a pair of Goliath IIIs (8 ohms). This was the rig recommended to me by SWR to best compliment the Mo' Bass. BUT, running in stereo, the Mo' only puts 250 watts to each side @ 8 ohms. Is this too little for the Goliath IIIs, which I believe are rated at 750 watts? I'm thinking that SWR wouldn't purposely tell me some bad info, but you never know. So what do you guys think? Should 250 watts be OK to run into the Goliath III, or would I be better off getting two 4 ohm Goliaths run stereo (400 per side @ 4 ohms), and just not running the amp bridged (900 watts @ 4 ohms).
  2. MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    400 @ 4 ohms seems the more logical choice to me.

Is there something I'm missing here?:confused:
  3. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    If you want to run it stereo I would get two 4Ohm cabs.
    With two 8Ohm cabs I would run it in bridged mode.

4. I have that setup and I always run it bridged mode, so I can get 900w with 2 8 ohms cabs or 650W with 1 8 ohm cab.

It is a matter of choice between stereo or mono.

If you don't really need the stereo function, choose the 2 8 ohm cabs and use them at 900W bridged. Should you need :rolleyes: to extend you system, you can allways add another two 8 ohm cabs, and run them stereo at 2 x 400W at 4 ohm.

If you really need the stereo effects, go with the two 4 ohm cabinets : 2 x 400W. In that case you can't extend the system with additional cabinets.

IMHO : 900W should be enough I guess :D

5. Hey SoCom, let me tell you, right now I'm running a 'Mo through a Goliath III and a Son Of Bertha, and believe me, the 8 ohm at 250 watts is PLENTY loud! My guitar player has one of those Mesa Dual Rectal-Rippin' half stacks and those things are loud!!! I used to play the 'Mo through a 4 ohm Triad at 400 watts and the 4x10 is LOUDER by itself at 250. I added the SOB and now I'm the one who has to turn down!!! LOL, never thought I'd get to say that!!!

Seriously, go for the 2 4x10 at 8 ohms. it gives you the best flexability, and the sound will be more than enough. I mean, think of it like this: for small gigs, run mono at 650 watts into one cab, for medium run 250 into both, and God help us if you need all 900 watts into both at mono!!! *I tried this into the 4x10+1x15, cranked it up and it scared off my neighbors dog for 3 days!!!*
  6. The other evening I had the priveledge of running 250W of Genz Benz tube hybrid power into a Goliath Senior and hung tough with 2 Marshall 1960 cabs (4x12) that my guitarrist was using (clean & dirty channels) for the Firefighter's Benefit Bash on 9/11. My sound ruled! Thanks to Guitar Center for donating the Marshall and SWR cab rental. A lighting co. donated all sorts of cool stuff. My band's website below will have cool images soon enough. The Goliath Sr. is rated 1000w at 4ohms. I certainly did not get the impression that I underpowered it. I now have GAS for it. The fellow in the band before us (we headlined) had a Mo (and a killer sunburst '76 Stingray)....but not the same king of chops&FX-laden style as me. The Goliath Sr took his higher wattage like a champ and his band gave a blistering performance to match.