1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

$2500 buy a Jazz bass, Mike Lull? Sadowsky Metro? Atelier Z? or Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by redangel, Feb 23, 2008.

1. redangel

redangel

Aug 4, 2007
    Mike Lull, Sadowsky Metro, Atelier Z or Fender Custom Order?

Which one should I go for?
    Please comment with reason.

2. dabass

dabass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    All great basses......Sadowsky wins they retain value the best. You could also buy a Sadowsky NYC used (2 or $300 more).

3. Lakland DJ or JO. Used. Great necks.

4. Check out the new Fbass. They are amazing!!

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    You could a new USA joe for 2500 and if your cool with passive (which I advise) I highly recommend.

You could buy a used USA Joe and a outboard pre and have $ leftover.

Aj

6. Fbasses have a great reputation for construction,tone,and playability.One of the best high end basses on the market.The people at Fbass are super to deal with,George is one the best luthiers in the world,IMHO.

7. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta Supporting Member

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    Mike Lull. Comes very close to the P Bass feel and tone with great build quality.

8. I'm a sucker for a nice Fender so I would say custom shop!

However I guess the smart money is on the Sadowski Metro (even though I have an inherent hate for fender copies that cost more than the real things - I know they're probably better built for the price etc, etc, but I dunno, still feels like you're playing an imposter).

9. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I really like my Sadowsky RV5. At one point I was looking to sell because I felt I spent too much on a single bass. But I could not bring myself to sell it. It has the sound for me and plays well. And they retain their value. And if old Fenders sound great today, I wonder what old Sadowskys will sound like in 30 years?

10. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    Sadowsky, they just feel right and sound great.

11. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    thats because you kinda are:bag: (can't flame me sadly it's true, it is a copy)

But those imposters have their place. Get the sadowsky in green, they look really nice

12. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    How about a Carvin? You wont have to spend that much.

13. I'll second the Lakland JO vote. They do the Jazz bass sound really well, as opposed to the (say it with me) 'Fender on steroids' sound of the Sadowskys.

But I believe that if you go the Fender Custom Shop route, you'll be bypassing some of the QC issues that have plagued Fender USA for the past... uh, long while.

14. sjb64

sjb64

Aug 2, 2007
    If you find a good one and look past the bad setup and strings, Fender is your best value when it comes to playability, tone, or price. Don't bother with Fender Custom Shop.

If you're going to buy one of the more expensive basses on your list, find a used one. Finding a used 2008 Fender might be difficult.

15. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    Take a look at www.valentibasses.com not the biggest name out there but you will get the best value for your money.

Valenti__11.

16. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    +1 on the USA Lakland Joe Osborne.

17. Used Sadowsky NYC FTW!

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lakland or Sadowsky and you will be quite happy :)

19. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Lull - His 5-string shallow C necks are god-like, and the fit and finish is perfect. He actually has a fret-dressing machine in his shop now that does a better job than any human can.

20. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    +1