250K and 500K Mini blend pots that don't suck

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BigKD, Oct 6, 2017.

1. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    Any suggestions? Got some Bourns in the mail today that are a squeaky grindy mess, so scratch those off the list.

2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Bourns blend pots are pretty much the industry standard. Do you mean you haven't soldered them yet and you hear a noise when you turn them?

3. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    Yea I didn't solder them up. I put a knob on one just to feel the action, and I hear squeak squeak and can feel a gritty sensation when I turn the knob. Did the same with some no name pot off a Lakland, and that one feels smooth and does not make noise.

4. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    Do potentiometers need to be broken in before they feel smooth? My main gripe is the feel of these Bourns. Feels like metal grinding on metal.

5. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    unless you bought them from a reputable shop, they may not be genuine bourns. but even genuine ones will need a squirt of contact cleaner if they've been on the shelf for a while...

6. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Gilbert, AZ
    I have never had an issue with Bourne's, certainly not noise. I would check back with where you purchased them and get replacements. That's not normal for Bourne's pots to do that.

7. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    Yea I got a refund and ordered some Bourne split shaft [the bad pots were their solid shaft pots] instead...from mojotone.

8. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Gilbert, AZ
    Must have been a bad batch or something. The solid shafts are the type I use on all my basses. Best of luck with the new batch!

9. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    I got the split shaft this time. I do have some solid shaft 250K Bournes coming in the mail, so I'll report back on the quality of those.

10. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    Got the 250K Bourns mini blend pot in the mail today. Now I see why people rave about these. Super smooth and quality feeling. Not sure what the deal is with the 500K pots that I received and how poor quality they are.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Do you mean Bourns? Yel_wink.

12. BigKD

BigKD

Apr 19, 2014
    Yea 'twas a typo.

Passinwind likes this.