Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

250k stacked (concentric) pots?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ric426, Mar 30, 2005.

1. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Anyone know where I can get some stacked (concentric) 250k audio taper pots? I've looked through all the usual parts sources and have only found stacked 500k and 250k/500k.
    I'm also looking for some place that has a decent selection of concentric knobs.

thanks,
    Ric

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

FWIW:

Never done it but seems you can install a resistor in line with the 500 to make it a 250. Fact is, the difference between a 500 and 250 is splitting hairs and I'd bet you couldn't tell the difference unless you did a side by side comparison. Even with a preamp that specifies otherwise I can't see it would matter. I've done extreme pot swaps from pre recs and short of swapping a 25K for 500K was nothing of consequence. A lot more tone variation would come from a cap swap than that pot swap. Neck pups are typically excessively dark by virtue of their location so I'd just run the neck pup to the 500 and be done with it.

Most any place that sells the pot will sell the knobs that fit them.