250W 4ohm amp - which speaker do you suggest?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kuliokugs, Nov 6, 2017.

1. kuliokugs

kuliokugs

Nov 6, 2017
    My big Eden amp, that I usually daisy-chain to a 1x12 and a 2x10, is being serviced, and I have a rehearsal tonight. I want to use my little WTX-260 with one speaker for the rehearsal.

Can I use my WTX-260 (260 Watts 4ohm minimum) with a 2x10 (500W 4ohm)?
    Or do I stick with the 1x12 (250W 8ohm) - that I've used before?

I need the most volume - not picky about tone at this point, just need to keep up.

I promise to study resistance compatibility later if somebody can just give me a bottom line right now as a help at the last minute? (I'm not thumbing my nose at the awesome teachers out there, I'm just overwhelmed with selling my house, making a move and having a last-minute gig all at once.) Thank you!!

2. Find the biggest 4 Ohm cab you can, and use that.

3. kuliokugs

kuliokugs

Nov 6, 2017
    Thanks so much

4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The 2x10 should be louder. The 4ohm load will yield more power, and it has more speaker surface area.

5. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    2x10 should be fine

6. kuliokugs

kuliokugs

Nov 6, 2017
    Awesome, thanks so much

7. The WTX wants a minimum of 4 Ohms. The 2x10 is 4 Ohms.
    The WTX puts out 260 watts (at 4 Ohms). The 2x10 is rated to handle 500 watts.
    There ya go.

8. Agreed just don't use both the 8 ohm AND 4 ohm cab together. This'll equal 2.67 ohms and might blow yr amp

9. kuliokugs

kuliokugs

Nov 6, 2017
    Thanks everybody!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021