Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

250w enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by semborg, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Hello,
    This is my first post on this forum.

I am wondering if 250w will be enough?

I am going to buy (maybe) Yamahas btt 500 (500watts at 8ohms and 250 at 4ohms), with a 2x10 yamaha cab (4ohms).

So the output power will be 250watt

Is this enough?
    Thank you!

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Nevah!

3. 250watts should be enough, My amp is 250watts.

4. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Enough for what?

5. It should be 500 at 4 ohms and 250 at 8 ohms...

6. Rehersal and gigs
    If I will play on big gigs you can plug it in to the PA.

7. ohh sorry I mean 500watts at 2ohm, and 250watts at 4ohm
    So its 250watts in the cabbinet I will buy.

8. So, do you think I need more than 250watts? :hyper:

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If you're playing rock or blues, or any music that has guitar players and the drummer uses sticks, 250 watts and a 210 might get you the stage volume you need, but chances are you'll be running it wide open..that means you may find yourself trying to play to hard, or losing sound quality to hear yourself, also your gear may not last as long as you would have hoped....
    ..I would get a bigger head and try a 210 cab..if it isn't enough you can get another, or put a 115 underneath it...

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    at a practice or a low volume gig coffee house tupe gig you should be OK. Anything else you will struggle to hear yourself. I would recommend if possible to get something that can run around 500 watts at 4 ohms.

11. Djeetn

Djeetn

Jan 6, 2005
    Well, 250 watts is enough. But it depends on what kind of music you play. I play in a death metal band and I had a hughes and kettner 300 watt combo amp. Compared with my drummer and marshall loving guitarplayer I was beaten up like hell. I had to pull my volume all the way up and still then it wans't enough. At rehearsels or at gigs... same story. At one gig, my amp got linked to the P.A. And then, my bass sound was huge. I sold my combo to purchase a Ampeg SVT 610 Hlf with an Ampeg B 2R head. That's about 350 watts. It's now enough, but I heard Ampeg released a B 2RE at 450 Watts. Will check it out.

12. Ohh, it's so hard for me right now.
    I want that amplifier, and that cab. I have tested it in a store near my town. Sounds great.
    And it is really small and the head only weight 8.5 lbs! (like 4kilos).

Easy to transport
    And it is quite cheap.

But not enough watts? :(

13. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well, since your new here, take a little trip through the "search" section of the website. There's many brands out there that people hardly ever hear of.

9 months ago, "Epifani" made me think of a moment of clarity, and "Avatar" made me think of a stupid little picture on internet forums. :p

How much money do you have to work with??

14. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

I play in 4 "Death-Geezer Bands" and this question ALWAYS causes me to strap on my battle armour and wade into the thick of things. No matter how many folks scream, squeel and disagree, I continue to at least let you know that, IMHO, you should NEVER feel badly about how many watts you have. It kind of falls into other male hangups that we deal with all of our lives. How many WATTS we have really doesn't need to be one of them.

You ended your last post with a frown. That's not the attitude to have when you have the opportunity to go out and play music. ;)

I often play out (in pretty big rooms) with a 35 year old, Sunn tube, 60 watt amp head and a cabinet with 2 JBL15's. I also use a 250 watt amp and a couple of 500 watt amps. Each of them does the job just fine.

With what you've written and keeping in mind that you seem to be implying that $$$$ IS an issue here, buy "WATT" you can afford and be happy with it. After all, you're making music--which in turn makes people happy. The happiest of all should be YOU. :bassist:

15. chekerbored

chekerbored

Nov 18, 2004
    STL
    Dont worry, be happy. :bassist:

16. ++1

I went out and bought a SWR SM 900 (800watts), 2x10 and 1x15 cabs. Used them and loved them and still have them.

Right now all I'm using is a SWR Workingmans 12 combo. 100watts and a 12inch speaker and the master volume never goes beyond 11o'clock

Different amps for different people and different situations. No one can tell you that you need 400watts "and that's final".

17. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    250 watts is enough if you are using it for your personal stage monitor and you put the cabinet up on a chair or table right behind you. Or if you are backing up some folk singers and the drummer only plays with brushes. :eek:

18. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    All of you guys are right. Whatever amp works for your situation is what you should ride with. Your sound is your sound... simple as that.

However there are some sort of ideas of volume and power that you just have to live by. With a 210 cab alone, you might really wanna think about having the speakers propped up.... I know that's what I have to do with a guitar combo that I use as a monitor when I play drums.

Kinda makes me hope that more speaker companies follow the example that Schroeder is setting with the tilted speakers. Guitar cabs have them... why not bass? :eyebrow:

19. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Chariot.....I must, respectfully, disagree. For quite some time while a Rep for Fender, I used a Fender Bassman 400 combo. Speaker configuration? 2x10's I played a MTD 535 through it at levels that were, at times, painful in order to keep up with the guitar players who, as usual, think that it's all about them. The amp never broke up, never distorted and I play low B CHORDS through it. I was using no more than 200-250 watts and it worked fine. I NEVER ran out of headroom and I routinely rattled the teeth and gums of the folks in the back rows. :)

Another point. Propping amps up off the floor uncouples the amp from said "flat place/stage" and you often lose quite a bit of bottom end by uncoupling. Cabinet placement can be crucial and only takes a few minutes of experimentation.

Lastly---why do some players get scads of sound out of an amp and the others are always complaining about NEVER having enough? :confused: My first bit of advice at clinics , etc., is to get rid of the power-soaking smily face EQ setting that continues to be so common. The EQ faders on the far left (or turning your "bass" knob wide open in lieu of any on board EQ) will do more to demolish ANY actual "cutting tone" than anything short of plugging your entire band into a single 20 amp circuit and expecting good sound; ain't gonna happen. :eyebrow:

My advice is to keep those who are looking for more sound from less power is to keep the last two faders (30cycles/60cycles) as flat as possible. You're often using the greatest amount of your amps available power trying to reproduce frequecies that don't really matter when trying to attain a "killer tone". You want to allow your listeners to distinguish every note--not simply get a butt massage for yourself by standing directly in front of your stage gear. :bassist:

The bottom line--The tone that you hear on stage is usually quite different from that which your audience hears. IMHO, that's why we continue to hear comments for guys and gals right here which state in one form or another: "I played my stuff and it sounded GREAT--and then I had a friend play it while I listened from the room and he sounded awful". "How can two players sound so different using the same gear, the same settings, etc.?" Think about it. From the room, "your" killer stage sound probably sounds just like his/hers. :)

20. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I agree completely. I've experimented with a variety of cab placements and it really comes down to "working the room". If you really want to maximize your amp/cab, take some time when you set up and try putting your amp on a crate or something to get it up off the floor.

Then try it on the floor. Try different angles, and different places to put it. There is simply no one single place to set your cabinet that works for every gig.

Most gigs now (not all, it depends on the room) I put my cab right on the floor, as far back as I can get it and I stand about ten to fifteen feet away from it. I can't believe what a huge difference this makes. I can now turn my amp down and still get more out of it then when I cranked it and put it up high and stood next to it. Sounds like the opposite would be true, but it's not.

The idea of putting your cab up on something to get it up to ear level, and then standing close to it is counterproductive. It takes some distance for low frequency sound waves to develop. If you put it up high, you lose out on low end that you get "for free" from the stage floor and standing too close to it will cause most of your sound to go past you.

Experiment with cab placement and you can really maximize the abilities of your amp/cab. Set it up high and stand right next to it and yeah, you might need a ton of watts just to hear yourself.

Of course, some rooms are naturally boomy and sometimes it is best to put your cab up on something. Work the room to your advantage and stop putting your cab in the same place for every gig, in every room. They're all different.