Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

28 fret necks -

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by luisnovelo, Sep 5, 2001.

1. - The 28 fret model: (...) Good for extended chord
    and tapping playing but
    NOT ADVISABLE for slap style.

I read this in a bass manufacter´s page..

(Maybe I´m being a bit illogical and this is a stupid question, but i want to be sure..)
    I was wondering if they meant that it is not recomendable to slap and pop over the 24-28 frets, or there is any other strange reason why those necks are not advisable for slapping..

:confused:

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Depends on the bass IMO.

One thing could be that there may be not enough space between pickups and fretboard for popping(!).

Another may be that it doesn't sound too good when you slap at the end of the fretboard (harmonic node), e.g. some people prefer 21-fret necks for slapping instead of 24 (or vice versa).

But I think it must be possible to design a 28-fret neck bass that is suitable for slapping, may be an extra-longscale may be a good idea for that.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Probably just means there isn't enough room to dig in. If you don't dig in when slapping, I don't see any problems.

4. Was that the Conklin brochure?

5. it was a Jerzy drozd

http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com

6. One thing could be that there may be not enough space between pickups and fretboard for popping(!).

.. that´s it! :p

I dont know i I couldn´t figured it out.. but that´s why..

poping too close to the bridge wouldn´t be very addecuate..

thanks JMX,

:D

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i don't know about that "not advisable for slap" stuff. the bass i played our mp3 on (below) has 28 frets (not to mention 7 strings ;) ), and i slap alot on it. it's all about control.

8. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just took a look at the website.

Cool, finally a U.S. company uses ETS bridges, one of the best out there IMO.

The 28 seems to be quite suitable for slapping, even the 32 seems to be ok for that.

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If you mean the JD website: they're Spanish (Barcelona, I think). :)

10. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Oops, my bad.
    Still, it's good to see ETS getting more recognition.
    I used to see them only on German highend basses.