Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2EQ versus 3EQ - Stringray 4's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SamHD, Apr 30, 2005.

1. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    What's the main difference bewteen the 2EQ and 3EQ Stringrays?

I currenly have a 3EQ and all the ones I see in stores are 3EQ as well, but I'm thinking about ordering a 2EQ Fretless just because I'd like my fretless to be in a simple form as far as electronics go.

Would I be missing anything by going to a 2EQ?

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    A lot of people prefer the 2EQ. It has more punch apparently.

3. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    A pal and I spent all afternoon comparing apples to apples - Stingrays, strung with the same strings, through the same amp - and we agreed that the 2band sounded just a bit fatter.

But then we went to a jam that night and similarly agreed that the tiny difference we heard in the living room would never be obvious in a live band setting.

For the record, I prefer the 2 band, but wouldn't turn down the right Stingray if it were a 3 band.

4. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Very cool, Thanks for the replies.

Bovinehost, I guess I couldn't have asked for a more acurate reply than yours... Thanks!

2EQ it is then!

Sam

5. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I think the 2 band is a bit more aggressive sounding, with a bit more thump, and more extremes. The 3 band seems to be a bit tamer. I've owned a fretless Stingray, and it had the 3 band EQ, and I'd be inclined to think that the 3 band might suit a fretless a bit more as it's a bit more subtle.

6. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Thanks again. Good link Joshua! And to think that I did a search before posting this, but I didn't see that post... go figure.

Anyway, so if the fretless is more sublte, wouldn't it be better to have the more "umpfh" that 2EQ puts out?

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've got the first 2 band EQ I've ever used on a Sadowsky, having had lots of 3 band basses. On a 3 band bass, the boosts are narrower, where the 2 band has these really broad-Q boosts that sound a lot more natural to me. The bass control doesn't just add depth and boom, it boosts all of the lows and low mids some and just makes everything sound FAT.

On a bass with 2 pickups, the best mid control is the blend knob anyway ... thought that doesn't apply on a 'ray.

8. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    No, I meant that the 3 band EQ was a bit more subtle, and that might come in handy on a fretless bass.

9. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Just to add to the confusion you might want to add the piezo option (only available on the 3EQ). These sound great on fretless SRs.

10. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Now that I see the original MM pre was really boost/cut, THIS statement from Pino makes a lot more sense to me now:

(Bass Player March '92): "...the Music Man, with bass and treble knobs turned midway and my plucking fingers right over the pickup, has this one versatile, warm sound that speaks to me."

Always thought his sound was too warm and unhyped to be the result of boosting the EQ that much, but since (apparently) the early pre's were that way, it all fits. Pino kicks ass!

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Two band sounds better, but the three is more versatile to me. Since I'm leaning towards a more vintage sounding rig in my P-bass, and future Jazz with P-neck (a la Tim Commerford) I'm going to go for a two band Ray as well since I no longer need the boosted mids for a metal gig.

12. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Can't comment on a Stingray 4 but when I had my Stingray 5 string I found the mid control to be quite useful in certain situations, i.e. if I found myself getting buried in the mix during a section of a song I could boost the mid to get out ahead of the pack so to speak. Throughout my overall experience with active preamps I think I prefer a good 2 band. I often found myself over adjusting/tweeking with the 3 band. With a 2 band EQ, I tend to just set it and forget it. If you have a good amp with a variable mid on the EQ, then I would say the 2 band will be just fine. On the other hand, I believe the 2-band is boost only so if cutting the high end is important to you, that is something to consider.

13. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Oh okay, even better. I must have been thinking of the pre-Ernie Ball.

14. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    It really doesn’t sound like I can go wrong either way. The only reason why I'd be leaning towards the 2EQ is so I can obtain more of a different sound over my 3EQ. I know the fretless factor will be the main element, but I'd like my two Rays (if I ended getting this one for sure) to have distinct personalities... I think having a 2EQ and a 3EQ might help with that.

Just as an FYI, I’m currently playing though an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro head (has EQ) and an Ampeg 410SVT cabinet.