Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2nd Aggie cab arrives. Wow.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xring, Mar 8, 2006.

1. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    After waiting patiently for a second S410 cab, and finding out that it was never shipped, then learning that there was no more left (can you feel the heat?) I had a GS 212 delivered at a huge discount.
    I don't know what the 2x410's would have sounded like, but I have no regrets after a short session with the stack today. I hooked up my Kustom Groove 1200, going into the 2 ohm load for the full power output. No cranking today, but all I can say is that I've forgotten what a big rig is capable of. I had to drop the lower EQ as the 212 adds a massive amout of lows on it's own. I cut 1 horn to see if there was anything weird going on phase-wise, but I did not detect anything.
    It's very nice how these 2 cabs stack, and the nice part is that they are great together, or separate.
    My prior cabs were the Avatar 212 and 210 which sounded nice, but I really didn't know what I was missing.
    I will eventually hook up my B4r to examine the tonal differences, but not right away.
    I may post a detailed review after spending some time with the rig.

2. gattigang

gattigang

Feb 14, 2006
    VaBeach
    kewl. Can you compare the GS212 and the Avatar 212?

3. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    It's hard, not having spent too much time with it, but my 1st impression was that the horn is much smoother than the 1st gen horn in the Avatar. The Aggie has a "voice" that I haven't nailed down yet. Sort of a mid - low presence that really lets the individual notes stand out.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That sounds like a capital rig. I ordered an S 410 about two weeks ago. It arrived on a Tuesday, and I had gigs on Saturday and Sunday. I loved how it sounded in my living room, and I knew it would absolutley kill on stage. With the good price, I thought, "Hey what the hell? Maybe I'll add a 2x10 if I like this." I decided to try it on my first gig; I was absolutely stunned at how great it sounded. So I get up on Sunday morning and do a search on the S 2x10 on Musician's Friend. It was sold! I've been kicking myself in the ass since then. The S 2x10 cabs are going for $330 everywhere else. Well, I've decided to reward myself at the end of the semester with a used SWR Goliath Jr. :D That's going to be a killer rig.

And yes, the S series Aggie stuff blows Avatar out of the water in terms of tone and just plain craftsmanship.

6. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    OK - Pic added. I am really happy with the tone. Did I say that already?:D

Attached Files:

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    holy crap that looks awesome...

8. I just picked up a GS212 and it's fantastic! I worked out a trade... an Eden 210XLT for the Aguilar. Great trade in my estimation.

The 212 really moves alot of air and has lots of bootée. I can't wait to match it up with my Berg HT210S.

Cheers,
    L

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I would bet either cab by itself would sound very good, so combined, it's simply massive. I'm confused though, what exactly are you going to do with B4R? I don't know if the B4R goes to 2 ohms, but I'd love to here that head with the 2X12.

Skel

10. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I just have 2 separate racks of gear. Ampeg and the Kustom. The B4r can go 2 channel 500wx500w into 2-4ohm cabs or bridged into 1-4ohmer. Lots of flexibility with that head. I may try biamping the highs and lows, but the cabs are so good full range, I may not bother.
    I got lucky with my equipment in that 4 ohm cabs are a big advantage for me.