Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2nd Amp recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Growler, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    So I've been playing with a Peavey Microbass for a while now and I'm longing to upgrade it. I mostly play 70s rock (Boston, Stones, Aerosmith ok that's 80s, SR Vaughn, PinkFloyd, Thorogood...).

I've got a MiM Precision that I'm pretty happy with but when I hook up a higher end amp (anything is higher than what I have) I just want to take the amp home.

I'm not looking to break the bank here (<$700, combo is ok), but just looking for a few recommendations that I can hunt around locally for and try out rather than just heading down to the local guitar shops and plugging into every amp they have...

-Growler

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You are in an area that should have lots of stuff availible used, which will really stretch your budget. Check out craigslist etc ... If you could find an Eden D-210XLT for around $350 that'd leave you with enough cash for a reasonable head, and you'd likely love the sound. You can then upgrade the head again when you have more cash.

Another good option is those Avatar cabinets ... they are dirt cheap and people seem to like them.

3. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    How do you go about matching a cabinet to a headunit? Do you try a cab with a bunch of different headunits until you find a headunit you like and then try that headunit on a bunch of different cabinets?

Its like a chicken-egg problem...

-Growler

4. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Here's my thoughts on your best options with a $700 budget.
    Go to www.avatar.com
    1. You could buy the Ashdown Mag 300 for $278 with free shipping with the purchase of any Avatar cab. Nice tone for the music you play as well. You could then buy an Avatar 4-10" for about $339-$379 depending on which one you choose +42 shipping. The 2-12" might sound really nice if you want a little more low end with that head and your style of music as well for $279 + $42 shipping.
    2. Look for some used gear from a reputable dealer. I really like the bass only stores. I find the combination of their people's knowledge and usually excellent service to be the best way to shop. Maybe check out www.bassnw.com, www.basscentral.com, www.bassemporium.com, etc. and see what they've got. I took a quick look and saw plenty of combos and head/spkr combinations that would fit your budget. I'm sure that you'd get some quality advice if you gave any of those stores a call as opposed to the snot nosed kid at Guitar Center, who likely knows less than you do about the gear! Good luck on your new rig!

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'm going to say go for a used and local cab and find a Trace V4 or Quadravalve, or even a used Traynor 200 watt all tube. An Ampeg 100 watter might be good as well, or some other 100 watt all tube head. Its plenty of power (being all tube) and you should get a 212 cab or even an Eden 210 XLT cab as those are louder than most 210s. A 410 would be great as well. Look used and local for the cab and figure how much you have to spend on the head. I've been offered a Quadravalve for $450 before.

6. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    What do you guys think about a Eden Combo (210 or 212) with a Nemisys Head?

-Growler

7. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I tend to choose a cabinet I like, then find something to power it. Cheap heads are usually better than cheap cabs.

So pick the box using whatever head is availible to demo, see what the impedence and power handling are, then try to find a head in that power range.

8. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you get a combo, you don't need a head :meh: its built in.

But I don't think you could go wrong with anything from Eden or Nemesis (same company).

9. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    For those music styles and a P-bass, I'd start with Eden. I'm a P-bass guy and a big Eden fan, so ymmv and all that, but you're asking for opinions....

Then Ashdown, I like their tone but they seem much more fragile (and anecdotally they seem to have reliablility issues). I've also recently played through Ampeg and Fender combos that sounded very good, in case you find a good deal. I will also say that I haven't liked GK and an SWR 210 combos. (These are all recent blues jam experiences where you plug into whatever rig is there).

I'd definitely scope used gear, but try out stuff at music stores as much as possible to see what you like. It might break your budget but if you can find an Eden 212xlt I'm guessing you'll be very very happy, it's a phenomenal cab. Also try a 210xlt, it has a low-mid character that is perfect for a P-Bass. The 212 has a bit more fundamental that is irresistable. Either way you'll then need a good 400-500W amp, or more - headroom is your best friend.

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'd look into a used Mesa Walkabout 112 combo. :cool: