1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2nd bass decisions (stingray vs. fender jazz)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lonestarwings, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Stingray 5

87 vote(s)
    51.5%
  2. Fender American Deluxe Jazz 4

65 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. SX P or J bass 4 string

17 vote(s)
    10.1%
  1. I've been playing for almost a year now and need a second bass. I play upbeat rock with a band but enjoy delving into slap/funk and blues type stuff on my own in addition to rock. I currently own a fender am. std. precision 4.

I've narrowed it down to these three options:

1. Stingray 5

I really like these every time I play them, but I'm hesitant about making the jump to a 5. The reason for the new bass is that I will be splitting time between two residences, and it could throw my practicing off if I only have access to the 5 half the time. I'm also concerned about slapping on a 5 since it complicates the muting and the string spacing is tighter. On the other hand I like the low notes and the stingrays play like butter in my experience. I like the tone, feel, looks, tone controls, and the weight doesn't bother me.

2. Am. Dlx Jazz 4

I love the way these feel and love the slap tone they put out. I feel like it would be the ying to my p-bass's yang, while still being very versatile. I really would like to have a jbass at my disposal, but I feel like I may not be adventurous enough sticking to another 4 string fender.

3. SX precision/jazz 4

Save my money for something nicer later and just get a cheap backup for practicing at my 2nd pad.

And no I don't have two places because I'm rich, the 2nd place is a cheap crashpad I must have for work.

Thanks for the help.

2. Five strings may feel weird at first, but it doesn't take very much to get used to. If you want to keep practicing consistent, just ignore the B string. (Or treat it as a very long thumbrest.)

3. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    The switch to 5 is much easier than one might suppose and you might like having a two octave reach.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you love how the Am Dlx J feels, that's it for me.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Why not cross-breed the StingRay 5 and Am. Dlx. Jazz four, and get a StingRay 4 HH? When both humbuckers are split, the tone ventures close to the J-bass neighborhood, plus you'll have the "sweet spot" humbucker tone at your disposal. Otherwise I'd recommend the Am. Dlx. Jazz due to its excellent tone, quality, versatility, etc. -- i.e., all the reasons anyone ever recommends a good J-bass.

6. bwsailer79

bwsailer79

Aug 5, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    That's one of the best excuses I've ever heard for needing to get a new bass. I need to use this one on my wife... cuz I need to practice when I'm at work (I hope my coworkers don't mind) :smug:

Would you be open to getting a 4 string stingray? If you really just want to be able to practice at both locations, I would stick with a 4 string bass. But if you really want to get into the 5 string bass, this sounds like a good time to get a fiver. It's really all up to you. I used to play a six string (until it got stolen). And it took me a while to get used to a four string again. Now, It feels funny to even play on a five string. Anyway, my point is that it seems like your questions isn't just "stingray vs fender jazz". It's more like, "should I stick with four string, or should I get into five string".

If it were me, and I just needed a beater or practice bass, I would get an SX (I hear the SX make a pretty good main bass as well). Mostly because I would like to see what all the talk about them is all about. But if you are really jonesin' for a "flashier" bass to add to your collection, I would get a four or five string stingray. Mostly for the variety.

7. The Stingray 5 is SUCH a versatile bass... If you've got an American P-Bass AND a Stingray 5, you're prepared for almost any musical situation!

I can't wait to get an American P to complete my rig for a while.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Unless you honestly cannot afford a Fender Jazz Deluxe or Stingray 5, don't waste money on the SX. It will come up far short of either one of the two basses you really want.

9. bnutz

bnutz

Mar 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    +1

For me, this would be a much more difficult choice if you had to choose between the two, but with both basses in your arsenal, you've got a lot of tonal real estate covered.

Also, slapping on a 5 may be awkward at first, but having the low B comes in really handy (Not to mention that the MM is a great bass to slap on). You'll find yourself using it a lot more than you think- and not just for the lower notes, but it also opens up your playing in E, F, F# & G (even G#) using the low string as your starting point.

-b

10. MaccaMan1964

MaccaMan1964 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Moved to Miami
    :bassist:I agree with much of what was previously said...especially about not wasting money on the SX. Definitely avoid that choice!

I am mostly a 4-string player - but recently bought the StingRay 5 and love it! I'm not quite ready to play it out yet, but soon....

I think this also keeps me excited about learning new things - and thats important.

Lastly, if you cant get over the 5 hurdle, buy a StingRay 4 - and get one with one humbucker and the one Jazz p/up. That would be a really wide tonal palette!!

Most importantly, HAVE FUN and go with what makes YOU feel the best!

Regards,
    Paul

11. Just to comment on the jazz not being adventurous enough, I don't think that is a problem.

A 4 string is more adventurous to me than a 5 string, as many people get lazy and use the B string as a crutch so they don't have to learn to use the open positions.. also, there are lots of tones to be had out of a jazz bass.. you just don't get them by turning a knob..

So I guess to me, a 4 string jazz a lot of fun, because you are always trying to get more out of less.. For example, I never would have bothered with practicing fretted harmonics if I owned a bass with 24 frets..

12. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Two most important features in recommending the Stingray are:

1. Range of sound/tone. The Stingray, like most MM instruments, have a wide range of tone capabilities and easy to use knobs and switches to get to them.
    2. The Quality Control, IMO, is pretty high on MM. You will find them to be consistent well made and a good road warrior (quality goes in at the manufacturer).

The only thing that I don't like about the newer stings is the neck shape. It is more a D than a C shape. I suggest you try one out for 'goodness of fit' before plunking down the dollars. BTW, MusiciansFriend had a dinged fretless on sale last week that I took a hard look at but the Bush economy killed that GAS.

13. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    +1
    Nailed!!!!

14. Autumn Walker

Autumn Walker

Nov 30, 2007
    Colorado
    Ummm.... I'm selling a Stingray5 on TB right now. Shameless, I know. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468049 I'm sad to see this fiver go because it has such a mean punch and there's a ton of tonal diversity in the way the stingray5 is setup. And I totally agree with Oldmiami's comments, a p-bass and stingray5 combo is pretty damn awesome. In all honesty, the money from this sale is actually going to fund a vintage p-bass!

15. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    You'll be all set with either a jazz or a SR5 but i voted SR5 just for the versatility of having a five strings.

16. Get the 5. Trust me.

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    buy a 5er

18. My p-bass found his long lost brother:

Well, i didn't go with the winner of the poll, unless you lump the sx votes in with the fender, but I love this jazz. I just had it setup and man does it play like butter. Still doesn't quite have the wall of sound that the p-bass pumps out, but for slapping at quick articulation boy is that bridge pickup nice.

I still want the 5-er, maybe next year I will make the jump.

19. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Since you have a nice P already, I'd say get the 5. I have a 5 that I like, and I'm looking at getting a 4 - maybe a P, maybe an SR Sterling HS - to "counter" my Bartolini active 5 string.

Too late. Hey, those are two very nice basses that will get you through most any gig. I love my 5'er, but I could get by just fine for 95% of my stuff with a 4 banger.

20. Adelleda

Adelleda

Apr 19, 2009
    Mexico City.
    That pretty much screams Stingray.