1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2nd bass recommendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chickenJames, Oct 19, 2013.

1. so. I am a happy Spector owner - Legend 5 Classic. I do lots of nice clean funk/pop things with it. It's now my only bass - I had a beginner bass (Yamaha RBX374). I sold the Yamaha once I realised that I would never choose to play it again in preference to the Spector.
    However - I've now been asked to join a lads' indie/rock pub band, and I'm wondering if it would be worth thinking about a more suitable instrument for this. I'm not likely to _need_ a 5er, and I'm expecting to spend a lot of time doing Pixies-style 8/4 with a pick.
    So - question. If you already had a lovely, clean smooth versatile 5er, what would you be looking at for a 4er with loads of character that would complement what I have already.

Discuss...

p.s. usual disclaimers, apologies etc apply if I have failed to search properly....

2. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Dec 9, 2011
    Brampton, On
    Um...if you like your Spector legend 5 you could get a Spector 4 banger in a different colour and/or pickup configuration.

Or just get a Warwick! :) sorry that is my personal preference.

3. thanks ! I'm looking for something that is really different in character to my Spector. I'm thinking vintage, old-school passive, maybe semi-acoustic! maybe something that feels a lot, mm, dirtier and less slick.

4. Neon Scribe

Neon Scribe Supporting Member

As others will tell you, there's no reason in the world why you can't play indie rock on your Spector 5. If you want something that *looks* the part more, consider a 62 Reissue Precision Bass in sunburst, black or maybe red. It's going to look right almost anywhere outside of jazz and urban gospel.

5. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Howabout a mint-condition-from-being-tucked-into-its-case-thrown-under-the-bed-and-forgotten-about-for-30-years-until-someone-mentioned-what-they're-bringing-on-eBay-now vintage Peavey T-40?

[​IMG]

Just a thought...I LOVE mine!

6. a_ribbon

a_ribbon

Apr 10, 2008
    t-40's are great basses but someone is bound to whine about how much they weigh.

7. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    I know...it's like waiting for the next drop to fall in a Chinese Water Torture! :D

8. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I just picked up an Eastwood Classic 4 hollow body. This will run second to my Wilkins Road Tested J. The hollow body has a different character and is a kick to play!

9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I am normally all about bright and modern. For example, my main bass is a Carvin LB76W, an 18v active 6er. But a couple of years ago, I decided to pick up a good ol' P-bass. A bit to my surprise, I've really fallen in love with it. And I think that there's a good argument that most bass players would benefit from having a P in their arsenal. And since image is a concern, it's worth noting that it looks "right" in just about any genre.

10. '68 Tele Bass. Heavy ash body, all-maple neck, nickel Fender flats, fiber bobbin. Great bass for picking. The sound can tear flesh off faces. Looks right, too.

11. BenGrim

BenGrim

Feb 3, 2010
    Bellingham, WA
    MIM Fender Jazz FTW

They're versatile and fun. They have plenty of character. And, you can pick them up cheep, so you don't have to worry that much if they get stolen or broken at a gig.

12. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Lol, that's really funny!
    Those T40s look great and I have been intrigued, but the reported weight really keeps me away. Had a chance to trade for one ages ago but the guy also offered a mint Gibson SG guitar and I went for that.

OP: Thinking P-Bass for your situation and it will be a nice alternative to the EMG/active sound you currently have. But like others have mentioned, no reason you can't get another Spector legend, maybe one of the older ones with P/J pickup configuration (the neck through Spector Custom Legend would be nice, they pop up here and on Ebay every now and again).

13. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    It's funny, but I think in this situation I'd just go to my local music shop and see what is there in the room to play before I looked for a specific type. For your situation, I would probably look for something simple, passive, and something that could take a hit.

14. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

You should really think about a good old Precision

15. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I would go with a Hofner,or an Eastwood- something hollow. These have a very different sound so it would really complement your current bass. I have 14 basses now and nothing else I have can emulate the Hofner sound, and this includes my Spector. It's very good for a folkish, rock, retro deep earthy wood sound. (It's capable of sounds that is somewhere in between an electric and an acoustic bass. That being said, these basses are not versatile for everything (like funk lol), but perfect for what it is meant for.

16. Except for the "semi-acoustic" part, you´re describing a Precision. And I strongly encourage you to go and check one out. :)

Doesn´t have to be a fancy one, the current Squiers are top value for money.

17. thanks guys, I'll get on a P in the shop today.
    I confess that I was worried that the original question might sound like
    "what's the best bass for indie/rock/metal" ?
    and that's not what I mean. Really I'm trying to ask "what's the best good bass that would _complement_ my Spector i.e. between them I would have the biggest choice of tone and feel?

(what are P's like for weight? my mate has a big old black late 70s MIA, and it's
    - very heavy to carry
    - very heavy to play
    )

18. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Late '70s Ps are known to be the heaviest of all the eras (usually about 10-12 lbs), but the average P weighs in the 8-9 lb. range. Try out a couple Jazz Basses too. I'm more of a Jazz guy, but i do own 4 Ps.. They both have their place, but IMO, either one can substitute for the other in just about any situation, because they both just sound like Fenders when it comes down to it.

19. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Pick up a 3" wide strap while you're at it, & weight shouldn't be an issue :bassist:

20. I tried lots today at Andertons. I very quickly ended preferring the J-style. Some of the Squiers were nice but the one that really woke up for me was the std Jazz (MIM).
    I guess it's something wrong with me or my playing but the P's just didn't feel very alive...

Good point re: straps, I have a neoprene super wide Sandberg strap for my Spector and it's perfect