Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2nd Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheNerdBass, Jun 30, 2005.

1. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Hello! I'm getting to the point where I need a new electric bass. I want to spend around $400. I was looking at the Epiphone Thunderbird becuase of it's appearance, but I have also heard great things about it's versatility. I am into classic rock, but I will occasionally mess around with funk, metal and just about everything in-between. That is why I need a bass that has tons of different tonal options. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks! :smug:

Also, Does anyone have any experience with used instruments? I have seen basses that are $400, for about $300 used. I'm a little nervous about their quality though. What do you think?

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Get a Fender P orJ. Either will cover a wide spectrum of music. The Jazz is probably more versatile in this respect but only by a bit.

$300 should buy you a good quality bass. While you do get what you pay for, sticker price doesn't always dictate quality. There is also the law of diminishing returns in which spending more does not get you a proportional increase in quality. Some folks of course, have to have the best. And I don't blame them.

3. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  4. You can't go wrong with a fender or a G&L. I'm not a fan of thunderbirds, the neck and tone is just not my style.

5. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Thanks for the advice! Keep it coming please! :p

I've heard that the bridges on the Fender J and P basses are horrible... should I be worried about this? or did someone just get a bad apple?

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Alo of folks replace the bridge with that Quan unit. But since it sounds like you only heard of ppl doing them then I guess it follows that you, like me, don't really know what replacing the bridge does. Or what the issue is with the stock unit.

So why worry? :)

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Not at all. Unless there's something seriously awful wrong with it, replacing it with an aftermarket one like the Leo Quann Badass II is a waste of money -- I did it it to a Samick and there was no dramatic improvement.

In all seriousness, I'd reccomend hitting up that G&L. That is a GREAT deal. I almost bought one new two years ago but I got fired the day before I was going to buy it, so I couldn't afford it! A damn shame, I really loved that bass.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Mexican Jazz Bass is an excellent buy, though there are some problematic bridges, though aren't a big problem generally.

9. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fender bridges are not horrible. It's just that thanks to a marketing campaign by Leo Quan in the 70's, people associate heavy bridges with being good and the relatively light bridges Fender makes with being bad. Fender bridges aren't perfect, but they're fine.

11. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    But the T-Bird dont buy a Fender and sound like everyone else. I have the epi T-bird and its wonderful, I love it.

12. Actually, the badass bridges are great, depending on the bass. Sure, they may be overrated in the fact that you're not going to dramatically make your mexi p or whatever sound like an american active version, they do alot for the instrument itself. The bridge on my MIM bass got so bad that every five minutes I had to adjust the saddles. The new badass I installed was much better quality wise, doesn't move, its like a fricken tank at the end of my bass.

13. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia