Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2nd biggest contributor to overall tone

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Jan 23, 2002.

1. bass bodie

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. neck joint (i.e. bolt on)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. fret board

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. frets (or lack of)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. strings

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  6. pickups

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  7. preamp

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  8. cables (i hope no 1 really thinx this )

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. speaker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. other (please specify)

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. i wasn't sure weather to put this in misc or effects so if it's in the wrong place, sorry.

now to the poll, it's quite simple really, whats the 2nd biggest contributor to the overall tone? the reason i ask whats the 2nd and not the first is because the 1st is obviosly amp heads (and effect pedals, so maby it should be 3rd :D ) and please don't vote 'other' and say 'the player', i'm talking about parts :)
    the reason for me doing this poll is because poeple on this forum are always saying things like "(insert word here) really gives the bass a great tone!" and i want to know what u all think the main 1 is, and simply because i'm genuinly interested in what u all think

l8rz

Tom

2. I, in my limited experience, think that the pickups and the shape and material of the body are the second (and third) contributors to the tone. If anyone wants to tell me how wrong I am, go ahead. :)

3. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The shape of the body? Care to explain this?

4. idealtracks

idealtracks Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    I think a lot of folks would argue against the preamp head being THE major factor in tone. So could I. If I had to pick one single thing, I'd choose strings since the job of all the other elements in the chain are to amplify, embelish or simply transmit this original sound source. But I also believe your signal is only as good as your weakest link.

IMO if you want a good sound, you'll have to invest in decent cables, bass, preamp/power amp, and speakers. And then you'll have to invest loads of time practicing your technique, and finally tweaking your sound in different situations (what sounds like lucious tone in your bedroom when practicing alone may sound horrible when practicing with your buddies in a basement.)

Hope something here will help. Good Luck.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

1. Your hands
    2. The electronics in the bass
    3. Strings
    4. The fingerboard wood
    5. The speakers
    6. The bridge
    7. The body wood
    8. The amp head
    9. The neck construction and material

JMHO

EDIT: Forgot strings!

6. Hey, I said in my limited experience. I'm taking that view from PRS, I read somewhere that he thought that a big contributor to the sound was the material of the body and the shape. Might have been just the material though. In which case I seem to have made an arse out of myself. Oh, well. Happens often enough. :D

7. I voted Other.

The player itself is also very important. the way you play your bass affects your sound too.

8. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Then obviously you didn't read this:

9. By far the biggest contributer is the player. You can give me Jaco's same bass/amp configuration, even the same eq'ing, but I will never sound like him.

There is too much to list. Even the condition of the batteries in the effects matters.

10. A bass is not the sum of its parts. Otherwise, we'd all play Warmoths. There is a system-level effect of the bass itself that actually supercedes the impact of the amp. I listen to records and say "that's a Rickenbacker, or that's a precision, etc..." but it's rare that I say "Must be using a Glockenglang." Maybe I could pick out an Ampeg.

11. 1. Your Fingers (or style)

2. The Electronics

3. The material of the bass

4. The fingerboard material

5. The speakers

6. The strings

7. The Amp

8. The Bridge / The nut

9. The Cable

This is the best poll that I have seen yet!

~Ad

P.S. - Hey Embellisher! The Rewood Sonus is a nice alternative to yer mug! hehe! ;)

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, it's a little purtier than me.:p The picture will have to be redone, I left too much space around it. I want it to fill the available space with the body, so it will be as big as possible.

13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA