Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2nd Cab for SWR Bass 350/Eden D210T?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smoothergroover, Feb 12, 2001.

1. A couple of weeks ago I traded in my Marshall 4x10 for an Eden D210T. It is gorgeous, warm yet articulate and to my ears as loud as my old cab. My main concern was trying to reduce bulk/improve sound and I have succeeded...

....but I have been thinking to the future when I may need more volume. My options seem to be:

1. Get a second 8 ohm D210T.

2. Get a 1x15.

3. Get a 4x10.

Option 1 appeals the most in terms of portability/power handling but I would appreciate all the opinions out there for when I get the need/money to upgrade my rig.

2. Hey, that's pretty cool, I've got the same cabinet in a 4 ohm version though and I'm wondering which cabinet I should get next. If I got another 210 I think I would probably go with the 210 XLT just because they can take that little bit more power and lower frequencies and they're not that much bigger than the 210T. Or do I go with a 15? I don't know if I'd get a 410 just because I don't want the size and weight problem of a good sounding rig and for some reason the idea of two 210s really appeals to me. You can throw both of them in the back of your car and probably squeeze your bass head in there also.

I've got a Peavey 115 BX BW that sounds great because it's really clear on the B string whereas the 210T is sometimes a little farty. That makes me think I'd rather have a 15, probably the 115XLT, but I've been told that the 210XLT is an awesome cabinet and can handle the low B at loud volumes. I guess the only thing to do is to try out the possibilities. Can anyone else shed some light on the situation?

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I would strongly recommend an Eden D-115XL. It really complements the 210XLT.

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Hmmmm....a toss up.I think either the Eden D115XL or the D210XLT would be fine choices. Since I'm a 410 guy I would have a slight preference for the 210 though. Getting the XLT would be a wise investment rather than the 210T. It provides MUCH better bottom end. Either way though you'll have a great rig that will get you through just about any gig or venue.

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Well if you want the exact same sound you have now, just louder, go with a second D210-T. But if you want more bottom or a different sound I'd go with a 15 or get the 210-XLT. You should also try cabs from companies other than Eden, just to see what it sounds like. Don't get me wrong, Eden makes great stuff, but sometimes you can get a great sound from something you'd least expect it to come from.

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I was running a GK 1001rb and a Eden 2-10T, and was going through the same exercise as you a few months ago. I wanted to add on another cab.

I got mixed reviews...some were for the 2-10XLT and others were for the 1-15, or 1-15XLT.

I ended up buying the 2-10XLT. Despite the difference in power handing specs for the two cabs they seem to run at the same volume. I do get a little more bottom from the XLT. My low B comes out loud, clear, and tight sounding.

7. Cheers for the help guys :) BTW Phat, I tried out Mesa/Ashdown/Hartke/SWR at the Bass Centre in Wapping before I settled on the Eden - I guess the best way is to go back there with my rig and try out the options you suggested.

I've got a couple of small gigs coming up so I'll see how the 210T goes on its own...