Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2nd Cab: to EA or not to EA?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by babaseen, Jun 28, 2004.

1. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Need your opinions to assist with a $$$ purchase. I have had the iAMP800 and the NL210 (replaced a SM500 and 2 Eden 210's) since February and have used it for jazz fusion and blues gigs (two very different requirements for bass tone). I have to say this setup is fantastic to put it mildly. My dilemma is regarding a second cab since I need a little better coverage of the low end in some situations. Which one?? Should I just get another NL210 or choose the CXL112L. I have read about and witnessed a sonic advantage in having matched cabs (and i luv the NL210), but I'm also wondering if the 112 would compliment the 210 and provide versatility (options) for the single cab gigs. I've also considered the older VL208 cab if it were possible to find one. Lightweight is a major factor and also since this is major $$$ in my realm, i taking my time to listen and compare..other sugestions welcome. thanks for any assistance.

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The NL210 combined with the CXL112 is a popular setup. I know 3 people presently using this rig and they swear by it. My 4 VL208's is hard to beat though!! :bassist:

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Holy Brown Note, Batman.....

4 208s?? That's nuts!!!

Almost as bad as (2) 2x15s!!!! :eek: ~!

4. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    And I drive them with 2 Walter Woods Ultras!!
    :bassist:

My big rig is 2 old birch CXL112's and 2 CXL210's. Now we're talking nuts! :bassist:

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes! Another EA gear horder!

3 VL-208's
    2 VL-210's
    VL-110
    CX-310
    Wizzy WZ-112E
    iAMP 800

Back to the original question, I think that you really couldn't go wrong with either a second NL-210 or the CxL-112, but the specific question of whether two NL-210's or the NL-210/CxL-112 combo sounds better is one that I would really like to determine in a side by side shootout. I don't think that an NL-210 and a VL-208 would blend all that well (but I agree that multiple VL-208's and/or VL-110's is a wonderful thing!).

Tom.

6. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    Hey Tom, I've heard you say many times about how much greater your 208's sound by adding the third 208 cab to the mix,... but how would a VL-110 sound by adding it with a pair of 208's? Have you ever tried this with yours? Just wondering, I may be doing this if I can get a little more bottom end with the VL-110 added to my 208's and iAMP-800. I've been meaning to ask you this, but never got around to it....

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I have not tried the VL-110 with two VL-208's, though that is an intriguing proposition. I will say that when comparing the VL-110/VL-208 stack to two VL-208's, the former has a tad more low end than the latter, although the two VL-208's have smoother, more natural mids. As I have mentioned before, something very magical happens when VL-208 number three is added, and I have no reason to doubt that adding a VL-110 instead would yield a similar amount of low end (with the VL-110 and VL-208 being quite complimentary and whatnot).

Certainly, you would pick up a noticeable increase in low end with a VL-110 added to your two VL-208's. I will try to compare three VL-208's versus a VL-110/VL-208/VL-208 stack and let you know how it stacks up. That's the beauty of the iAMP 800. You can throw almost any combination of cabs at it, and it can handle not only the low impedence, but also give each cab enough watts to work with.

8. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    Thanks Tom, I really appreciate your reviews on all of the EA cab combinations you do.

9. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for your input so far...

So no one has direct experience with the two NL210 setup or the concept of matched cabinents as a sonic advantage...maybe there is really nothing to matched cabs. I agree with TOMBOWLUS, its time for a showdown

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    If you are ever driving due west (about 2.5 to 3 hours), you are more than welcome to plug your rig into either my 210 or 112.

Mike

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Mike:

Have you ever had a chance to try two NL-210's? I would have thought that you'd be putting all the EA gear through their paces. That would be an enviable job, for sure!:bassist:

I'd like to know how two NL-210's compare to the new 4x10, as well.

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I have not tried 2 NL-210's. They probably know that it would be difficult if not impossible to get them back from me :D

I am, as well, curious about the 410 vs. the 2 210's. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out after summer NAMM

Mike