1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2nd cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by krstko, Jul 31, 2012.

1. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    I play rock (of all sorts) and I'm upgrading my rig. I like good mid-range punch. Current rig is Fender j w Hartke HA5500 + 4.5xl cab. I was thinking about 410xl (I've read it has more midrange punch), but I am open for new ideas :D

2. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Double up if you like what you got!

If not you've got to search for an upgrade, and test it with what you have (mixing cabs = unpredictable results).

3. The only cab I would recommending to your current one is a matching 410.

4. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    Testing with other cabs would work if I wouldn't live in the middle of nowhere xD I haven't find my tone just yet so I don't know if this cab is perfect or not... :/

5. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Solvenia - I haven't been. I'm in Ireland - some instruments but very little variety. Beginner combos is about it outside the capital. I'm planning on making the pilgrimage (Lol) to check some stuff out eventually.

You can get some online stores to post stuff to you - if you don't like it you have 30 days to return it for a full refund (I've used thomann - not too dear and really nice - but I've never had to send anything back.)

I'd say the 5500 is a pretty flexible head - the xl line are pretty pro level gear, but not perfect cabs (nothing is). Good thing is they are fairly easy to get and don't cost a mountain. I've never had a full stack myself... I'm getting my first real rig above a practice amp ATM (getting a light, loud 115 and a micro head).

If you have the dosh you can go all out in terms of power and portability... but if it's just a cab upgrade you want you kinda have two options:

Double up - It'll make the whole setup much louder, get the full 500W from the head, and give more everything - including punch (all from other peoples descriptions)

All change - take a risk and go for something else. You could try two 115's, you could try an 810, you could get 2 112's, or 2 212's... all would be louder than the 410 (almost certainly - depends on the cab). This is obviously a more expensive and risky option. Used or new these could totally change your sound (good or bad).

If you want more punch I'd recommend getting something that doesn't have horizontally lined drivers, like 410s and 810s. They interfere with each other making the cab sound very uneven when you move around. Then the EQ you use should have better effect and let you get plenty 'punch'. That's my understanding - probably not enough to go on considering I'm basing this on other peoples experience and opinion (mainly). :bag:

You can do it! :D