Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2nd gig, not good at all

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bassyamaha5, Jan 4, 2003.

1. bassyamaha5

bassyamaha5

Sep 4, 2002
    Hanover, MA
    I had my second gig last night, we opened for a friend band of ours, first thing to go wrong was it rained, our drummer has a pickup, with no cap, so everyone had to transtport some of his 30 piece drum kit(a little exaggerated, but not much), the place we played is right on the ocean, winds were around 50mph,it was freezing rain, stung like hell when it hit your face, dirt parking lot with a huge puddle right near the loading door, then we get inside, the satge slants to the back, nothing will stay where we put it, almost lost my rack off of my cabs, ended up putting it on the floor, played for an hour with cold wet feet, sounded like ****, although nobody else seemed to think so...then went throught the same stuff unloading, only high point of the night was hanging out in the practice room with the guys after the show, last time we book a winter show at that place....we have some pics of the show on www.proudshovel.com, hope evryone else had a better night than me

2. that sucks dude. i've had bad experience with pickup trucks and gear. all my band's crap was in the back of a tuck down by the beach overnight, and the air was so wet and humid that everything was totally soaked. luckily i took my bass into the beach house we were staying at that night(i slept with it right next to me...)
    hanover mass, eh? what kinda stuff does your band play? maybe i should hear you guys.

3. bassyamaha5

bassyamaha5

Sep 4, 2002
    Hanover, MA
    we play a little bit of everything, or I should say, the band does, I try to, I've only been playing for about a year, and I've only been with the band for 2 months, we played with Grumpy Jones the other night...check our site at www.proudshovel.com...are you playing with anyone? maybe I could return the favor

4. my band is gettin' pretty good these days. we don't play out yet though. we're all still in high school; but if the opportunity to play somewhere arises, we plan on taking it. we have no shame and will play anywhere. we've played two battle-of-the-band deals (won one of 'em) a field day for our high school, and a backyard party.
    we're pretty much just rock. i can give a better description than that. maybe "alternative"?
    we're gonna be finishing up a five-track demo next weekend, if i figure out how, maybe you could hear it, and let me know whatcha think.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Hey M*ssholes! I'm originally from Pembroke!!! My 1st bar gig was at The Ranch House somewhere near the beach, Cohasset maybe? What a hole. It was a big room and they had chairs from a school that burned down. We actually got a dressing room and it had graffiti everywhere. Do you know if that place still there? It was probably 15+ years ago . . .

6. bassyamaha5

bassyamaha5

Sep 4, 2002
    Hanover, MA
    Jondog, I'm playing the ranch house this Sat. still the same ****ty room ,with the same ****ty chairs...we'll have some pics up on our web site a few days after...check our website... www.proudshovel.com
    Ryan

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Wow! I can't wait for the pix!!! We called it The Raunch House. I was SO nervous at that 1st gig -- I was 16 and all the guys in my band were in their 20s and much more experienced than me and the people in the audience were very scary looking. They were cool though and they liked our music. Have a good show!

8. bassyamaha5

bassyamaha5

Sep 4, 2002
    Hanover, MA
    we still call it the raunch house...best place to go for dirty women, and cheap beer, same lady still owns it... who did you play with from around here, I know most of the musicians around here...and one more question...ever shop at crossroads music?? pics should be up by next Tuesday at www.proudshovel.com

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Well, my memory is a bit fuzzy but I'll stumble down memory lane. The band was called Clairvoyance (oooh) and Kenny Monteiro from Pembroke sang and played rhythm guitar. He was a good frontman and he idolized Paul Stanley. Mike Harmon was from Duxbury and he was a kickass guitarist w/an ugly greenburst strat.. My buddy Steve Seydler played keyboards. I kept in touch with him for awhile after I moved -- he made a new age album and worked for a star from Portugal (?). I forget John's last name right now, I think he was from Brockton and he could play exactly like John Bonham. If you know any of those guys tell 'em I say Hey! I still have a few recordings from those days and I think they're pretty good. I was probably the weakest link -- I know for a fact that my amp sucked and I was lucky when it got stolen.

I don't think I ever shopped at Crossroads, how old is it? I bought the crappy Sunn SB160 in Scituate I think and I got my very cool Roadstar II from a keyboard/piano dealer. Hub Music in Pembroke was where I bought strings etc. but I still don't forgive that guy -- when I was in 5th grade I brought my grandfather's silver cornet in to buy oil and he showed me how to do it and lost one of valve caps. Irreplacable. When I went back to tell him it was missing he gave me a cheap replacement and told me it was no big deal. F**ker.

Can't wait for pix!

10. bassyamaha5

bassyamaha5

Sep 4, 2002
    Hanover, MA
    Crossroads has been there since 88 Bob Doolittle owns it) Hub went out of business, and the guy in Scituate is still ripping off people, have you ever heard of "limtied slip" or "sonic boom"?? they were around late 80's

11. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I graduated HS in '88 and went away to school. I went back to visit my folks many times, but they just moved to NH so I dunno if I'll ever get back to the south shore. I'm glad there's finally a cool store in that area. I'm really glad Hub went under. The store at the Hanover Mall used to have Pedullas, but those were the only cool basses I remember from my entire childhood. Instead of the Roadstar II that I still have and love, I almost bought a purple sparkle warlock copy from Hub as my first bass -- AIGGH!!!! I still love '80s basses and if it had been a real BC Rich *maybe* it would've been cool, but I think I got lucky (I really didn't know what I was doing :)

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Thanks for all of the pix!!! That really brings back memories -- it has not changed one bit! Not the stage, not the bud sign, not the ceiling, not the toilet . . . Except they didn't sell bottled water back then. Looks like you had a good show. Rock On!