1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2nd Hand Fender J-Bass Special MIJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by r6mile, Apr 3, 2006.

1. I found this bass in a shop where I live. Its a Made in Japan Fender Jazz Bass Special. It's got P/J-style pickups. From the serial number (L018565), I think it was made in 1963.(http://www.fender.com/support/dating/fender_us_dating.php) It costs about 360 U$. If that's what it costs, then I think the owner of the shop doesn't know what he´s got. Here go the pictures :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know it's weird, it's got gold hardware, no pickguard, those tuners (weird for a fender, uh?).
    What do you think about it? Should I get it?

EDIT: I was looking in the wrong page, in American basses page. This is the page: http://www.fender.com/support/dating/japanese_dating.php
    Hence, I was wrong, it was made in 1991-1992.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  3. Oh ok, sorry, then it dates to 1991-1992. Thank you. Anyways, what do you think of this bass? Should I get it?

4. Please, I really need your advice, there's another buyer and if it's worth it, I don't want to lose. What are your honest opinions on this bass? Should I get it?

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    If you want a good, solid PJ with a great neck, get it.

I have 4 of them. They typically go for around $350 - $400 on ebay. Don't know about those pickups or tuners - i think someone later added them. I'm looking at the thing, and the body looks like it's shaved down in spots more than mine...I'm wondering if someone put the neck on another fender model I'm not familiar with...

6. OK thanks. What about the no-pickguard, black, gold hardware, weird tuners, look of the bass? you think someone changed them, or it was like that before?

7. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Here's what they look like.

[​IMG]

8. Oh ok so the no pickguard look is normal. And someone must have changed the tuners. But "mine" has 4 knobs. Is that normal?

9. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    No. That and the different planes in the body make me think what you're seeing is some sort of frankenfender.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No, it's not a sort of Frankenfender, but it's not the same as your basses nysbob. Yours are the mid-late 80's model, and were updated for the early 90's I believe.

The Y key tuners were standard, I've seen this model a few other times.

11. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    That's a weird model, it reminds me more of a P Bass Lyte than a a J Bass Special.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Definitely reminds me of a p bass lyte

13. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    +1

14. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    If it's in decent shape, I'd say it's worth the money...particularly in Pakistan. ;)

15. Here everything is expensive, so I think 360$ (300 €) is a pretty cheap. Thanks! I think I'll buy it.

16. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    Yesterday I saw the same style bass in a Bronx pawnshop. I was intrigued because most axes in these shops are noname P clones.I played it, it's in good shape but it was hard to tell the sound as they had the amp behind the counter, I dont know what I was playing thru, but I think it was junk. The price was $300. I didn't buy cus it didn't sing to me but I was curious about the value.

17. 4runner

4runner WARNING!"WALL OF DOOM" does "exceed" 140 decibels!

Feb 11, 2006
    Hackensack NJ,
    Question r6mile; I think before anyone can help you with that question, Are you considering buying this instrument,because of the implied "vintage value" of it, or, is it because of the way it sounds / feels????

18. Because of the way it sounds, feels, and the quality of a Fender.

19. 4runner

4runner WARNING!"WALL OF DOOM" does "exceed" 140 decibels!

Feb 11, 2006
    Hackensack NJ,
    Sounds like you have plenty, good reasons to buy it!:bassist: