2nd Hand QSC poweramp? What to look out for?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phyrexian, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Hi,

I'm planning to get me a second hand QSC 1500MXa. I can get it fairly cheap (550 euro) and it's a steal because QSC amps are very hard to find on the second hand market over here in Belgium.

I guess I'll pick it up quite soon, but I've got a little question:
    How do I find out if there's something wrong with the amplifier? Is there anything special I should be aware of? Every tip is highly appreciated!

Also, I'm planning to use the QSC together with a Tech21 SansAmp PSA-1 which I'll get (also 2nd hand :) ) soon enough. Is this poweramp good in combination with the PSA-1 or should I consider another poweramp to drive a bass cabinet.

My rack will also have an old Marshall 8008 Valvestate poweramp, that way I can also use the PSA-1 for playing guitar and driving my Marshall 4x12 cabinet.

Another question:
    Would it be a good idea to only have a basscabinet? I would use this cab for both bass and guitar. The QSC puts out 500watt @ 4ohm so a basscab that can handle 500watt RMS at 4ohm would be enough. This way I could loose the Marshall poweramp and use the QSC for both guitar and bas(?). Would it sound good? I know the PSA-1 has that specific 'High' button which is also used to compensate lack of frequencies in specific cabinets... So, if it would be an okay idea to use a basscab also for guitar; which brand and type of cab would be good? BTW I play metal (every style) and heavy rock. I'm in a band that's close to what Kyuss did a few years ago (we also play Kyuss coversongs).

any help would be very very welcome

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hi Bart,

The MX 1500a is a pretty rugged and reliable amp, so it's usually a good choice to buy secondhand. The best way to ascertain its condition, though, is to have a competent technician check it out.
  3. GFOS

Dec 27, 2002
    Athens, Alabama
    I have a couple of MXa 1500's. If you already have a rack, make sure it is deep enough to accomodate the power amp. These things are very deep. My standard issue 6 space Cal Zone rack was not deep enough to handle this thing. As far as what to look for to make sure that it is good, I really don't know what to tell you. Make sure it works in all modes of operation and is not beat up too badly. Other than that, you'll have to ask the experts. Bob, you out there?
  4. GFOS

Dec 27, 2002
    Athens, Alabama
    damn, you're good.
  5. Thanks,
    I'll let the QSC get a maintenance as soon as I get it...

what about my other questions? :)
  6. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Bob Lee is da man! :D
  7. Be sure to support the rear of the amp. It is far too heavy to let it flop around with the rear not secured.

The only downside is the weight. My MX-3000a was a wonderful amp. Also, the MX-1500a only requires 1.07 input volts to reach full power.
  8. A good SKB rackcase will do just fine to protect the amplifier I suppose?

About those voltages... I'm not sure I understand these things correctly :D
    What's influence on all this stuff soundwise?
    What about a SVP-Pro or a Tech21 SansAmp PSA-1... are they driven ok, considering this voltage thing?

thanks for the replies dudes...
  9. GFOS

Dec 27, 2002
    Athens, Alabama
    I used the 1500 with an SVP-Pro. It works quite well together. I was powering an Eden D-410T and a SWR 1X15 with one channel. Worked great. Plenty of power, sounded great. As far as the SKB, I am not for sure if the rear lid will close. I had mine in an SKB rack many years and brain cells ago, but I didn't keep it in there for very long, so I don't remember if the rear cover will close.
  10. Thanks,
    what case did you use then after all??

11. GFOS

Dec 27, 2002
    Athens, Alabama
    The two that I've got have spent most of their life in a very deep 14 space Anvil rack that has all my PA stuff in it. When I did use it in my rig for a time, I put it in the Cal Zone with the back hanging out. I babied it so as to not get it messed up. I looked into getting a new rack for my rig and keep using it, but I found it just about a cheap to buy a new power amp. With the RMX 850 at only $299 shipped, it was a pretty sweet deal.
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnope. The SKB rack is too shallow.
  13. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Now there's a contradiction in terms if ever there was one!
  14. hahahaha lol
    good point!

I'll need a custum (wooden) flightcase then... which will only make the rack heavier :mad: :rolleyes:

Does a QSC RMX/PLX fit into a 'normal' SKB Case?
  15. GFOS

Dec 27, 2002
    Athens, Alabama
    The RMX is somewhere above 15" deep I believe. It fits fine in my "standard" Cal Zone rack, which I believe is pretty much the same as an SKB. In all honesty, as much as I like the RMX amp, the MX seems to be a much more heavy duty and durable piece. That being said, yes, you would need a deep rack and forklift to move it.
  16. I think I will NOT get that MX, the fact its very heavy and too big for a standard case are a bit of a bummer.

My band has something about 7-8 finished songs (we only exist for like 4 months with this line up) and are planning to start gigging a lot in the near future... Carrying around that huge MX would be too much a pain in the ass I guess...

I'll look for a more 'portable' RMX or perhaps PLX if my wallet allows.

I found a second hand Ampeg SV T410HLF cabinet! I'll pick it up soon... wiehaaaaaa :D