Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2nd job for Bass players

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gallient Knight, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Yes Of course. I thought that was part of being a bass player

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. No Its the Guitar / Key / Other Player

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. No we have a sound person (either with the club or part of the band)

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Sound person THIS IS ROCK N' ROLL Just crank it to 11

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. OK Its not a Basses poll, mods please move it if you like. But here is the question for every one

How Many of you get the honor of also being the sound man when you are playing bass?

There have been alot of stage pictures this week and I have noticed that the board is usually near the bass player.

I have the honor of doing both in one band and only mixing another band (that I ocasionally play a song or two in)

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wrong forum.

moved.

3. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    Clubs around here have soundguys for you, but at practice the guitar player stick his nose into it. (even though he can't figure it out)

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I did a similar poll some time ago and it was obvious that the bass player apart from being a bass player and sound man, also arranges transportation, bookings, making sure people show up to practice, finds the drummer and helps to borrow stuff to complete his kit the day of the gig, brings extra cables and batteries for the guitarist (just in case), packs the gear after the show while the singer flirts with some girls, and generally holds the whole thing together!

Without us bands wouldn't work! :)

5. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Uhh, and to actually answer the question, I own the PA and do the sound most of the time. It is a bit of a problem since this often means that my own sound suffers because of lack of time for setup. One of our guitarrists is really better than me at PA sound and I have tried to involve him to share some of the setup and sound check work. I'm also trying to educate all other band members so they at least can set up microphones and connect their own gear to the mixer or stage box. I'll get there eventually...

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think bass player is the worst person to be soundman as you don't have time to stop and adjust stuff - you are always playing.

So, it is much easier for somebody like a sax or flute player to step out front, check the sound and make adjustments, when they are not playing a solo/head. That's what happens in my band.

7. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Agreed, I don't step out to listen once we have started playing, the guitarist does that and tells me what to change if need be. Sometimes we also have a friend in the audience that we trust and he can report to us in a break or make hand signals to me while we play. It's mostly changes like overall volume or balance between instruments, and I can often do that while playing, or at least between songs.

Every now and then I do sound for friend's bands, and it's almost as fun - in another way - as playing the bass. Playing is more of a guts and heart thing while doing PA sound is more for the brain. Wish I could do both.

8. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I do it out of necessity. I'm the one with the best/most experience, and I'm the easiest one to walk out front and gauge the sound. The drummer and guitarist are stuck on the stage (guitarist runs the Line6 direct), and our singer isn't always objective. I've gotten to the point where I can get a decent mix within a set. We do bring in a soundman and sound system occasionally, which I much prefer, but it costs us.

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yea, no kidding. I own the PA and do the sound in my band, and if an adjustment needs to be made during a song it is almost impossible because there are very few rests with enough time to turn up a mic or whatever. Either I have to stand facing the mixer and wait for that split second to turn the knob, or if it is too important (lead singer can't be heard, have to turn it up now) then I have to drop a note or two. We really need a sound man (and some roadies to carry equipment, and some groupies....).:D