Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2nd pickup on MM bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 73jbass, Sep 1, 2004.

1. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Anybody ever added a 2nd pickup on their Music Man bass? I'm thinking of adding a J bass pickup in the neck position on my Sterling to give it a little more solid bottom. I'll need to match the new pu with a basslines alnico MM version. Thanks.

2. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    No!!! Don't ruin the Sterling!!! Just kidding that would be a nice addition. My uncle has a stock Sterling with LaBella HRS's and that thing sounds sooooo impressive I tell you. Awesome sounding E with the pre-amp. I sold my MIA Jazz to get one, then the L-2000 with a #6 neck came into the picture. Then a jazz Re-issue came into the picture. Damnit!!! I bet it would kill the Sterling competiton with a Fralin or Antiquity II.

3. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    Would definitely be interesting to see how it turns out - keep us updated if you do it. If you're getting rid of the original pickup I'd certainly be interested in buying it.

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Ed Friedland did this to a Stingray a few years back with poor results.

Sell it and buy a Lakland.

5. Czar

Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    I have plans to add a second pup to a two-band SUB.

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I wouldn't do it. If you don't like the sound of the Sterling, then get a bass that you do like the sound of. Also, what sort of rig are you using? A change in your rig may also get you the sound you are looking for.

7. i thought Ed added a precision pickup in the neck position and really liked the results?

another option: sell the sterling and buy a bongo with H/S configuration. as an added bonus, you can pick up an extra band of EQ.

robb.

8. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Just FYI the MTD heir's have this same configuration.

9. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Why not just get a Lakland 44-02? You should be able to trade/sell your MM for one.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree with the other posters. It makes no sense to ruin a valuable bass. Sell it and get a Lakland or get a MM Bongo with the single coil humbucker combination.

11. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    By the way, I meant the Skyline version. The US version would cost a bit more.

I, too, own a MM stingray, but I'm rapidly becoming a Lakland fan.

12. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    so did I and results were poor also.Stinrays are what they are.You ither love'm of hate'm

13. trade it for a G&L L-2000......:) THEY WEIGH LESS, SOUND BETTER AND HAVE MUCH MUCH MORE TONE OPTIONS

14. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    EXACTLY

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I knew a guy who put a P pickup in his stingray and it was his main bass for many years. His sounded great. I would say that if you're just going to put a J pickup in than you should definately look at the Laklands. I have a feeling if you played a Lakland you'd forget about your Stingray anyway.

16. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Another option - don't forget the mighty Sabre!! ;)

17. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    THERE YA GO ! :oops:

18. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I have to admit, I've often wondered what a MM Stingray would sound like if you popped in a high output J pickup (like a Seymour Quarter Pounder) in the middle position. There is a sick part of me that actually wants our friend here to experiment with his Sterling and report back. However, the ethical side of me has the upper hand and I have to implore you NOT to chop up that wonderful bass. Better to trade it in for one of those (ewww) Bongo basses or a Lakland import, or one of the increasing number of J/MM configured axes out there.

However...IF you do choose to do this...do give us the scoop and don't forget--PICTURES!!! (I'm so ashamed...).

r

19. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    No don't waste time messing with that...

Get one of these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA