1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2nd Preamp Suggestion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Malachi71, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    I have a Yamaha PB1 and am looking for another preamp either as a backup or main. I like the tone and flexibility of PB1 very much but I am having difficulty deciding on whether to get another PB1, Ashly BP-41E, Alembic F-1X, or some other preamp. I'm willing to spend $200 or less. Suggestions and recommendations welcome.

2. All of those are good choices. I've seen BBE 383 for around $100 on the bay. I have an Ashley, but you would have to pry it from my cold dead fingers - they don't come up very often. I think there is an FX-1 on the TB classifieds now (but at $450). Or I could let go of my PB1 :)

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    For a backup I got a Peavey MAX hybrid (tube and SS sides, blendable and footswitchable) preamp for around $180 that could do the tones of my Alembic F1-X and was more flexible as well. So I sold my Alembic and ended up about $270 ahead... I've seen a few other Peavey preamps that warrant looking into as well. One was in the CLASSIFIEDS but just sold.

4. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    Maybe my decision could be made a little easier if TB'ers could chime in and talk about the tones produced by the Ashly BP-41E, Alembic F-1X, BBE 383, or any other preamp they want to mention.

Has anyone on TB done a shootout with the PB1, BP-41E, and the F-1X? The PB1 and the BP-41E seem to have similar features but I realize they may totally different tones.

I know with the PB1 the sound is clean and warm for S.S. I like the flexibililty of the parametric eq with the Q control and the biamp capabilities are an added bonus. Mids can be accentuated but not in an SVT-like tone. Mids have some burp and a little bite.