Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2nd try: replacement speaker for WM 12 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zapp, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    gang
    if any of you improved your trusty SWR Workingman 12 with a better speaker, please let me know.
    its not that the old one is bad, just looking for some new tones, especially that will bring out the mid-squeeze without being agressively tinny.....

and, i never turn on the tweeter...
    zapp

2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I looked into that back in the day when I had a WM12. (Great little combo amp!) I couldn't pry the speaker out when I removed the screws, first of all, and after looking around, I concluded that the stock Celestion SWR used in that combo was probably pretty sufficient for the job. So I never pursued it further. (Celestion speakers are expensive to obtain on thier own, and to re-cone. SWR probably made a good choice with that driver, I always thought the tone was very good. You could get a driver with higher power handling, but it would be wasted in that amp anyway @120 watts.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I think you're likley to make a bigger improvement by replacing the preamp 12ax7 with a big fat new pre tube. Try a JJ from Bob at eurotubes...

4. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    ok, thanks for both answers guys: that's what I need.

Chef, will that unit be bigtime better than a sansamp driver?
    thx
    z

5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Ummm...there aren't any tubes in a WM12. :rolleyes:

Rather than messing with its stock speaker, consider an extension cab (8 ohms only). You might look at a 1x12 or a 210 to add mids, or a 15 to add bottom.

But I think the amp's pretty nice as is...try some different EQ settings or a different enhancer setting to get a different sound...the online manual shows some examples.

Oh...and I like to leave the horn on...it adds depth and clarity.

6. basseuphoria

basseuphoria

May 19, 2005
    just for kick's, try a delta 12 LF ( eminence.) it might surprise you!

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

8. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The WM12 is a great little amp. Your best bet is an extension cab such as a 1x12.The money you are gonna spend on a replacement speaker plus the effort, you can buy a used 1x12 or probably a new avatar and have a cab you can use for other things.

As someone stated, it is only a 120 watt amp. A speaker wouldn't make that much difference as much as getting a cab and using all the power.