1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2nd try: replacement speaker for WM 12 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zapp, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    gang
    if any of you improved your trusty SWR Workingman 12 with a better speaker, please let me know.
    its not that the old one is bad, just looking for some new tones, especially that will bring out the mid-squeeze without being agressively tinny.....

and, i never turn on the tweeter...
    zapp

2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I looked into that back in the day when I had a WM12. (Great little combo amp!) I couldn't pry the speaker out when I removed the screws, first of all, and after looking around, I concluded that the stock Celestion SWR used in that combo was probably pretty sufficient for the job. So I never pursued it further. (Celestion speakers are expensive to obtain on thier own, and to re-cone. SWR probably made a good choice with that driver, I always thought the tone was very good. You could get a driver with higher power handling, but it would be wasted in that amp anyway @120 watts.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I think you're likley to make a bigger improvement by replacing the preamp 12ax7 with a big fat new pre tube. Try a JJ from Bob at eurotubes...

4. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    ok, thanks for both answers guys: that's what I need.

Chef, will that unit be bigtime better than a sansamp driver?
    thx
    z

5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Ummm...there aren't any tubes in a WM12. :rolleyes:

Rather than messing with its stock speaker, consider an extension cab (8 ohms only). You might look at a 1x12 or a 210 to add mids, or a 15 to add bottom.

But I think the amp's pretty nice as is...try some different EQ settings or a different enhancer setting to get a different sound...the online manual shows some examples.

Oh...and I like to leave the horn on...it adds depth and clarity.

6. basseuphoria

basseuphoria

May 19, 2005
    just for kick's, try a delta 12 LF ( eminence.) it might surprise you!

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

8. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The WM12 is a great little amp. Your best bet is an extension cab such as a 1x12.The money you are gonna spend on a replacement speaker plus the effort, you can buy a used 1x12 or probably a new avatar and have a cab you can use for other things.

As someone stated, it is only a 120 watt amp. A speaker wouldn't make that much difference as much as getting a cab and using all the power.