Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2ook pots vol/tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by steelwolf, Feb 15, 2004.

1. steelwolf

steelwolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Ok here's the deal. I have a BC Rich Warlock with two Jackson p pickups. Originally it had a j-style at the neck but it was removed by some knuckle head and the hole filled in. Anyway back to my problem, all the pots were removed along with the jack and now I need to get it back together. Will 200k vol/tone pots work with the Jacksons having only one pot for volume and one for tone. I will not be replacing the j-style. I have seen Warlocks from the factory without it and I don't really need it. Any help would be appreciated thnx.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For what it's worth. I've transplanted several basses and found ohm rating to make no difference I can tell in active or passive situations. Just make sure you keep your volume and tone pots straight. I'd wire it up. You're not going to damage anything and you're not talking about a massive wiring scheme that is going to be a big headache to change if you're not satisfied. And at least you can play it in the meantime.

3. steelwolf

steelwolf

Jan 30, 2004
    OK thnaks just wasn't sure about the ohm rating with the p style pups. 500k, 250k, 200k :confused: Dont understand how they work but i can put 'em together where they do. Thnx.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Supposedly higher numeric ohm ratings should be brigther and you should typically use a 25k volume pot for active electronics but none of it's made any difference for me to date. The volume (audio) pots have a different taper than tone (linear) pots and would work interchangeably in function but your volume wouldn't sound as if were even when turned. Most pots you can't tell anything but the ohm rating from info on the pot. But there are some variations that will be apparent when wired and the way a harness is wired can create different volume/tone shaping. About the only thing that I've run across that you can do in wireing to damage anything is possibly running some 9v active units with 18v (and I have my doubts on that). I have done everything wrong in wiring you could possibly do with no casualties to date.